Discuss Changing Electric Meter ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well done tony you can use a computer, unlike many I don't bother updating my profile I don't see the point.
That was done in 2011 when I finished my 2330 and was looking for a sparks mates job so don't try to be smart
You should definately update it with your quals and current status mate. Anyone can read these threads and you have references and a link to your company website on here.

Why did you only change 4 meters not 5?
Why are you only getting fine for replacing one meter?
Why did you change the meters in the first place when the supply will do if for you?
Did you get paid for doing the job?
Pay the fine and hope you do not get any more

Here in this one place we have it all: an OP that doesn't understand the basic fundamentals of BS7671, the basics of EAWR89 (Which I'm fairly sure but don't have to hand, says that DNO supplies are sacrosanct), clearly no knowledge whatsoever of the Electricity Act 89 and to add insult to injury, is even trying to defend himself.

Shoeing doesn't even come close!!

Sorry I didn't make my point clear. Bs7671 is a non statutory document, just like the link on Dave's post

simple question mate..on most of electric meter we find a seal..please can you explain why there its a seal..the purpose of them its ..??? what...

So when a meter reader or whoever goes to the meter, if they find the seals missing they report back to office. Check readings against average consumption for that time of year to see if the property occupier is taking what the should from the grid. Any discrepancies can then be dealt with.

Simple question, if seals were to stop unauthorised access to the meter would they be made of flimsy aluminium?

However seals are rarely on them. And were not talking about changing meters for any kind of dishonesty!

You obviously have no intention of taking any of the sensible advice you've been given here, so carry on. That 450 quid is going to be the first of many, and eventually you're going to be hauled into court on criminal charges and the book thrown at you. None of the crap you're spilling out here will help you, in fact it'll all go against you big time!!

As for seeing missing seals on meters, Nah you rarely see them missing, service fuses maybe. The DNO may take a blind eye to missing seals on them, but the electrical suppliers via the meter readers etc, aren't going to let missing seals go so easily on tariff meters...

At the end of the day the suppliers meters are calibrated to their standards,if you installed a meter and it turned out several years later to have been overcharging who would the client have a clam against for the extra costs incurred? answer you! Point 2,do you seriously think that the supplier is going to accept your word as to what the new meter was reading at time of install? Answer no!Another point to remember is that any meter they remove is kept by them for a certain length of time in case there is a query about the accuracy of the meter.

Obviously another piece of vital information missing in the Electrical Trainee course.

Or is this thread just another chapter in the cavalier attitude that has been adopted in some sectors of the electrical industry to training and competence

Hi all

We carried out a job a couple of months ago on an old Victorian house, now converted into five flats, it was badly in need of a Ryefield board and switches.

The cupboard was a bit of a squeeze, for a fire panel and small landlord board.

We found the meters a bit of a squeeze (Big old style) and the customer has asked for these to be upgraded to digital.

Four of them were changed and all the new numbers were given to the suppliers, my god what a mistake.

They are now saying as we are not an approved meter installer, they are trying to charge £450 for one of the meters which is British Gas.

Now we had this before in the past and the meter was dangerous, so we installed one provided by the wholesaler, give the numbers job done, no problem.

But i am quickly finding out this is the biggest mistake, in changing them over.

I am looking to see if anyone has been in this situation before, NICEIC say its a grey area !!

any help would be extremely grateful !

Something’s just struck me with this episode.

The Ryefield board must be before the meters which we’ve established don’t belong to the landlord. Who installed the board and who does it belong to?
If the OP installed it after the supply was made live, this could get really messy.

Trev, any of that popcorn left?

I've just read this all in one go.

How anyone can think that they can change a suppliers meter is beyong me and if this has really happened it doesn't say much about the knowledge, competence and integrity of the "spark" who did it.

simple question mate..on most of electric meter we find a seal..please can you explain why there its a seal..the purpose of them its ..??? what...
It's to **** me off mate. I hate them *******s almost as much as I hate rats and mice.
Horrible, flabby, fish eating vicious gits

Excellent comments on this post, obviously lots of very sensible advice. Indeed the DNO/Supplier/Meter operator would take a very serious view on this situation. Firstly these meters are uncertified, therefore cannot be used for billing. Secondly, any meters without seals are considered a risk as we dont know whats happened to cause loss of seal. Thirdly as a previous poster mentioned meter reads- the supplier would not know the previous end reads and cannot accept a start read on an unofficial meter/s. There would be an investigation - big money, then everything would have to be put back as it was. We are talking perhaps a couple of thousand overall on this one, and, as said, a likely criminal record. Credibility lost in this industry-

Reply to Changing Electric Meter ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net