Discuss Changing Electric Meter ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1/ The owner of the meter is usually labeled on the meter itself

2/ your a qualified spark with more knowledge,

1/ Regardless of who the meter belongs to, it wasn’t his or the landlords to change. If there’s financial repercussions he can only blame himself.

2/ Are you sure about that? He’s not shown any sign of being knowledgeable, from where I’m looking he would seem to be incredibly stupid.

1/ Regardless of who the meter belongs to, it wasn’t his or the landlords to change. If there’s financial repercussions he can only blame himself.

2/ Are you sure about that? He’s not shown any sign of being knowledgeable, from where I’m looking he would seem to be incredibly stupid.

I agree,he has made a mistake and once you know its wrong it will always be wrong no matter what anyone posts in your defence,I distnctly recall my days in college and where you are told in no uncertain terms what part of the installation you are permitted to work on..
The meter is not the property of the premises in most cases so don't interfere with it,a first year electrician would not make the second year if he failed to understand this,why is a supposedly qualified spark trying to play dumb?

I’ve just had a read of the OP’s previously started threads. The guys a DI, (Disaster Immanent). The started threads are a litany of incompetence.

How the OP removed a meter before and merely informed the supplier with readings etc is way beyond me to understand. It's just a no no no full stop. God knows what would happen if installed meter went up in smoke! Who claim ownership then?

I asked a question similar a while ago, just got told its a no no, without an explanation why or what law it breaks.
To me saying an electrician can't change an electricity meter is stupid, its like telling a kitchen fitter not to put in extra sockets!
7029Dave could you point me in the direction of what law/reg says we can't? I understand new meters have to meet certain requirements to be put into service tho

I asked a question similar a while ago, just got told its a no no, without an explanation why or what law it breaks.
To me saying an electrician can't change an electricity meter is stupid, its like telling a kitchen fitter not to put in extra sockets!

Well he shouldn't should he, the kitchen fitter that is

7029Dave could you point me in the direction of what law/reg says we can't? I understand new meters have to meet certain requirements to be put into service tho

www.mocopa.org.uk/, take a look.

My old meter is electro/mechanical and the numbers on the dial are really adding up since I started a bit of in house horticulture. Would it be ok for me to fit my own meter as I guess it would start again at zero.

Why would a kitchen fitter be fitting extra sockets? I wouldn't go fitting a kitchen just because the sockets i were installing were in one!

Probably not my English is terrible.

I was trying to say, a kitchen fitter should be expected to fit sockets as much as i should be expected to fit a kitchen.

Kitchen fitter fits kitchen.
Electrician fits sockets.

I'd go one better and tell the kitchen fitter that he shouldn't be installing sockets, then go and fit a kitchen, better than he could. :D

Probably not my English is terrible.

I was trying to say, a kitchen fitter should be expected to fit sockets as much as i should be expected to fit a kitchen.

Kitchen fitter fits kitchen.
Electrician fits sockets.

So you have never done a job that someone else is trained to do?

www.mocopa.org.uk/, take a look.
So just an agreement with guidelines?
Anyone can make departures from bs7671 provided that the departure/s do not impair the safety of the installation.
Now I'm not "trained" to install meters but the state of some of the tails I've seen (exposed copper conductors showing) not being terminated properly and with stamped security seals still in place, I'd go as far as saying these meter fitters are a disgrace and shouldn't even be allowed to look at a screwdriver let alone touch one

Reply to Changing Electric Meter ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net