Discuss Chasing walls.....weapon of choice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeah Ive neen through 6 bags now brought a pack of 10 when I brought the thing, plus used the bag it came with.
So i have 5 left.
Most dust goes in the bag but not all. I agree might be better if the bag was not paper.

The old method are the best Mate, all this carp with chasing machines could have finished the bloody job before you have got you chasing machine and vacuum cleaner out of its nice new box. What person on their right mind will want all that crap in their living room, when a bit of care and consideration, and a lump hammer and bolster will do the job far better than some costly machine that makes more dust than a hurricane.

Wow!! You rarely work in occupied properties then! The chaser and Henry is hooked up in 3 minutes and a 4 metre chase cut neatly and squarely inside 5 minutes. No dust, I said NO DUST AT ALL! The client wouldn't even know we've been!

I started with an Erbauer chasing machine from Poofix that, attached to a Henry, did a perfectly acceptable job.
Moved up to a Milwaukee chaser (which will cut much deeper and wider if I need to) a couple of years ago.
A mate of mine has a Bosch Cat M dust extractor that is the business. Copes far better than dear old Henry.
As for clearing the chases out it depends on the material: block work cuts fine with channeling chisels & box cutters but brick can be iffy, especially if the mortar’s very sandy, and I’ve shattered wheels in Malvern stone before now.
In one house we required in trunking throughout because the walls were so hard and banana-shaped.
I usually use 25mm oval in the chases.

Whats your preferred method and therefore tool of choice for chasing all types of hard walks (brick, block, stone etc)?

Is it the grinder and hammer drill method (if so do you use a purpose demo hammer drill or a standard SDS rotary with hammer function). battery or corded grinder?

Is it a wall chaser and hammer drill or demo drill.

Is it good old hammer and chisel.

Or any other methods?
I attached the wall chaser to a canister vacuum cleaner and removeded the air filter and pipe the exhaust out through a window.

Whats your preferred method and therefore tool of choice for chasing all types of hard walks (brick, block, stone etc)?

Is it the grinder and hammer drill method (if so do you use a purpose demo hammer drill or a standard SDS rotary with hammer function). battery or corded grinder?

Or any other methods?

An apprentice.

Is that Vaccum any good ?
I have the next size up Titan 30Ltr job with the outlet on the top. I find that the dust tends to get sucked through the bag a clogs up the filter a bit.

I have to keep brushing the filter, happens on brand new bags too im thinking if taking it back, does yours do this ?

Thanks Lee I'll take it back and exchange it then Ive only had it a few weeks, it has managed a full chase rewire and it sucks ok but its a bit annoying that the dust keeps sucking through the bag.
I think the main problem is that these things are not really suitable for the job in hand. They are basically glorified vacuum cleaners for sucking up dust. They're not designed to cope with the abrasive nature and volume of the dust being thrown at them in the wall chasing operation.
What you really need is a masonry dust extractor. However, these things are very expensive so most people put up with burst bags, clogged filters etc. to use the cheaper option of a vacuum cleaner.

Or any other methods?

Apprentice every time :)

I have the cheapo titan chaser and titan hoover, long hose off ebay, works a treat as long as you change the hoover bag frequently as thats their let down there ----. The whole setup is £130 though! Tap it out by hand after or sds, i use the armeg box chaser on my sds for boxes
Does the armeg box cutter work on brick though?

problem with the bash it and see approach ( lump hammer and bolster) is that if the plaster is not as secure as it should be, you can have 1/2 a ton of plaster on the floor and the customer wondering why he has 20 sq.ft. of bare brick exposed. at least with a chaser, the rotten plaster will not fall off till after you've banked his cheque.

I've got a Metabo MFE 30 chaser and Metabo vacuum. I use them and my SDS to clear out the bit left in the middle. It's very good, not too heavy, adjustable chase depth, virtually no dust. The vacuum has a setting that vibrates the filters to unclog them. If I was buying one now though I'd get the MFE 40 (next model up) as you can get a disc for it (with 3 staggered blades) that takes the bit in the middle out as well so no need for the SDS. Up to 30mm wide and 40mm deep chases.

Reply to Chasing walls.....weapon of choice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net