Discuss Recommendations for a wall chaser and other tools for rewire. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I seem to be getting more rewires than usual and am considering buying certain tools that aid rewires as they are bloody hard work.

At present I use an sds with chisel (gently) to make a line down each side of the chase, its a pain! So, any recommendations for a wall chaser? Do they all come with hose attachment for dust extractor?

I just use an sds with chisel to take out the middle of the chase, anything better?

Also, I realise there are no good reviews on box cutters, but they may be useful for at least making a small initial indent, rather than an sds?

Any other useful, helpful tools for a rewire? No, I don't have an apprentice :)

Cheers guys.

For nice neat cuts for boxes, I use a multi-tool on the plaster, then SDS for the brick/blockwork behind. Possibly not really relevant for a rewire, though, where time is of the essence (and the multi-tool is dusty).

In my early days, when I was assisting another electrician on a re-wire, he hired an Arbortech Allsaw, and it was brilliant. Eats through anything, with reasonable dust extraction, and because the counter-oscillating blades are not going stupidly fast, doesn't create the sort of dust you get from a cutting disk/multi-tool.

Link: https://www.allsaw-online.com/

For nice neat cuts for boxes, I use a multi-tool on the plaster, then SDS for the brick/blockwork behind. Possibly not really relevant for a rewire, though, where time is of the essence (and the multi-tool is dusty).

In my early days, when I was assisting another electrician on a re-wire, he hired an Arbortech Allsaw, and it was brilliant. Eats through anything, with reasonable dust extraction, and because the counter-oscillating blades are not going stupidly fast, doesn't create the sort of dust you get from a cutting disk/multi-tool.

The multi tool isn't a bad idea Steve. Like you said doesn't really save time, neater and easier though.

i use this on my SDS drill, it's pricey but the amount of time and effort it's saved me on jobs has paid for itself alone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Armeg-EBS-TCINST-Set-Tri-Cut-Complete-Channelling/dp/B00MIS382Y

I've also got a twin disk titan chasing tool that connects to a vacuum but it gets little use these days as the above does the trick.
Phew! that's £200 thatwould be better spent on beer. chase with hammer and chisel for daily excercise. winner 2 ways.

but too much drinking time is bad for your health, my doctor told me 28 units ( 14 pints) . I thought he meant a day, not a week.

I have the Metabo MFE30. Absolutely brilliant. Bash the middle out with sds chisel. Nice neat quick chase.

The Metabo MFE40 has now replaced it and looks epic. The triple blade removes all the wall material for you so no need to bash out. Tempted to get one but would like to hear from someone who has used one.

Just having a look at it. Do you have any cleverways of holding the dust extractor with it?

the dust extractor just hangs there while you're drilling and stops debris from flying across the room. to be fair though, i tend to use it on lower speed settings on my drill and it doesn't kick out as much muck.

I've learn't the hard way from going in with too much power on my SDS, having bricks explode on me and then having a game trying to fix.

The Arbortech Allsaw is a very versatile piece of kit the only negative is how much it costs
It would cut out chases and boxes with little effort

I have the Metabo MFE30. Absolutely brilliant. Bash the middle out with sds chisel. Nice neat quick chase.

The Metabo MFE40 has now replaced it and looks epic. The triple blade removes all the wall material for you so no need to bash out. Tempted to get one but would like to hear from someone who has used one.

I use the metabo mfe30 (twin blade) with the metabo asr35m dust extractor. Would highly recommend the both of them. The magnet design on the filters is fantastic. ?
It does look pretty good. Why is it so much more expensive than others though? What is better about it?

Edit... Actually, it doesn't look too expensive compared to some!

It does look pretty good. Why is it so much more expensive than others though? What is better about it?

Edit... Actually, it doesn't look too expensive compared to some!
Yeah I think it's reasonable. I've had more expensive vaccums before and they are terrible. This one is really powerful, and using the metabo MFE chasing machines you can plug them directly into the vacuum and it will start automatically when you start the chasing machine and then stay on for 20 seconds after you stop the chasing machine to collect dust while the blades stop.

Yeah I think it's reasonable. I've had more expensive vaccums before and they are terrible. This one is really powerful, and using the metabo MFE chasing machines you can plug them directly into the vacuum and it will start automatically when you start the chasing machine and then stay on for 20 seconds after you stop the chasing machine to collect dust while the blades stop.
If you go for the MFE40 you can get the blades that will actually take the material out in between the chases for you meaning you don't have to then use a breaker to break it out ( the worst part!) albeit they say it can only be really reliable on a breeze block type substance.

I done one job with MFE 30 then looked into replacing it with the 40, only because of the blade. Surely there will be a blade out for the mfe30 soon? What put me off was that they said the blade is only good for breeze block type materials

Another question about wall chasers... They seem to cut a maximum channel width of about 37mm. A piece of standard size capping is 47mm wide. Do you just cut another chase, half over the first one?

Reply to Recommendations for a wall chaser and other tools for rewire. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net