Discuss cheapest option for smallest MCs accredited install in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

erf151an001

Hi people

Does anyone know of the best/ most cost effective way of installing the smallest PV system to a domestic house?

i.e. cheapest small inverter and panels

Is it feasible? I have been asked by someone what is the smallest that they can have fitted. I was thinking the small 6oow master volt inverter and 3 panels?

All the wholesalers only seem to sell the larger systems.

So I suppose I'm asking does anyone know of a wholesaler who sell small MCS approved kits.

A lot of people I have been speaking to like the idea about going green but not wanting to spend too much of there hard earned.

Is there a market for a small installed system, what do you think?

Thanks

Segen sell a system like that so that people can get their MCS Certificate.

There's no market for it, the overheads associated with an install of that size make it prohibitively expensive per kWh generated.

Expensive if its on a roof, but could use Console units (ballast filled) and place them on a flat (garage?) roof or on the patio! Could get 3 x 185W Sharp panels and the Soladin600 for under £1000 (Segen prices) then 3 Consoles (under £200) + shipping.

True, (Though planning will officially be needed for the garage roof - crazy when you can probably put a pitched roof on the garage without planning permission! )

the biggest area for small systems is for new build housing associations etc on new builds. A lot of developers have cottoned on to the fact that sticking a couple of PV panels on the roof is actually a lot cheaper and easier than actually building the house to a high standard. The energy efficiency targets are like a points system. To meet the code requirements a house must score a certain amount. When the score is totted up its easy to say, right we need x amount more- we will stick on a .48kwp pv system and this will meet the requirements. I have see hundreds of these jobs with 2-3 cheap modules and a soladin or similar. The majority will be around the 1kwp mark but there a lot that will just be 2 x 185w! Obviously the cost are a lot lower for these as new builds, the suppliers are buying the gear in huge amounts and teh installation is done by subcontracters already on site- roofers and sparks, the MCS company provides design and commisioning etc..

Its fairly easy to do small system and to buy the materials, although i dont know why you would want a "kit". When I first started this around ten years ago most of the jobs I did were for waht would be considered small systems now, its only really since the FIT that customers have become more "right, what can I fit on my roof!" Back in the day my most popular system size was 0.96kwp and I think over 2 was a big system!

Reply to cheapest option for smallest MCs accredited install in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net