Discuss CheckaTrade | MyBuilder | RatedPeople | TrustaTrader etc - Who's with what and why? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Some similar threads:

Some threads that might be handy for anybody else looking into joining one or more of the rated people type websites. Please feel free to link to other threads you found handy yourself if you found some. :)
I was asked recently to check a property that “my builder” had sent a spark to quote to change all the sockets and switches in the house, he managed to talk the client into all kinds of extra work, most of it quite shocking, I.E fitted a new kitchen, it was ex- display quite shocking, fitted a bathroom and install a light switch in there, the list goes on, though he didn’t do the switches and sockets? My friend who’s a builder and myself managed to turn the place around, when we had finished I was standing in her new kitchen with her crying in my arms she was delighted. My builder covered a lot of the costs, these companies are not vetting people, they are letting criminals into people’s home by not doing the proper checks

1576609627528.png

It's nice to see electricians using their own websites well.

I'm gutted so many are still doing social media though. I tend to find the work going around on those sites all want mates rates and they're always a bloody friend of a friend of a friend.

But we're getting there I think. Less Check-a-Builder type stuff and more own websites is the way I want to see it go. Sod these directories off.
[automerge]1576609759[/automerge]

Hi Dan
Have not used any but may need to soon.
My plumbers whom I have used seem to be quick at doing big jobs but don’t bother turning up for small ones!

i understand the logic but really want a preferred plumber and electrician

Hi Dan
Have not used any but may need to soon.
My plumbers whom I have used seem to be quick at doing big jobs but don’t bother turning up for small ones!

i understand the logic but really want a preferred plumber and electrician
You can post your jobs on our forums you know. Gimme a shout when you're ready and I'll link you to them.

Did Yell for a while but soon kicked them into touch, got one job from them!
Had no end of hassle from Check-a-trade trying to sign me up, ended up threatening legal action if they didn't leave me alone.
Joined several local Farcebook groups to pick up some recommendations but stopped trying. All the people jumping on there seem to be struggling for work -at least one of them is at home whenever I go past their house.
All my work is word of mouth and I'm busy (present crisis aside) occasional work from my website but not much.
The best advertising is recommendation! And it's free!

Ratedpeople is a waste they sell their leads way too expensive for the value of the jobs. Most of the leads are sold on other sites for less eg. MyJobQuote. I had an account with Ratedpeople and it was pointless people go on Ratedpeople to get bottom prices, like one person said earlier they were jobs for rewires for £1000 loads of them. The other thing with Ratedpeople they do not roll over unused credits unless you phone them and request it, this should be automatic.

CheckaTrade need to sort out how they handle reviews. People who don't pay their bill fully shouldn't be allowed to leave feedbacks. All reviews should be verified in person before they go live.

MyJobQuote needs to have a better way for trades to communicate with clients, most times the job quote details are vague and need a couple of questions to clarify things. There reject codes are not detailed enough. Their lead prices are ok but I do think a lot of the higher price leads are fake (ones with higher job value). I do like the fact that if you dispute a lead they are normally happy to return your credits after checking to ensure your claim is genuine. They also roll over your credits automatically so if you don't use your credits you don't loose them like you would with Ratedpeople.

I did do a little with British Gas platform Local Heroes and I am sorry 20% cut was too much. It wasn't 20% of the labour but 20% of the total job so that means double VAT on your materials (20% VAT and 20% commission). The good side is it opened the door for a lot of good clients that I currently have they respect and value your service.

There goes the four that I have experienced using. By far MyJobQuote is my number one choice. The only one I would not touch again or recommend is RatedPeople.

Anyone has any experience with Which? Trusted Trader?

Word of mouth for the most part here. Have picked up a fair few clients responding to recommendations from local area/neighbourhood websites, which seems to be a the millennial equivalent of chatting to your neighbours and asking for recommends.

Dabbled with rated people around ten years ago during a lean spell, if it came back to that I'll go flip burgers rather than sell my skills that way. I mean paying for an opportunity to quote based on what the client thinks his job value might be. The only value would be long term client retention and his further word of mouth recommends - but lets be honest, if they go to RP and get a decent job they'll probably remember the RP site rather than the individuals details!

Check-A-Trade appear to be consistent..consistently annoying every trade and service paying client since since Homeserve bought that golden goose and cooked it. Spoken to so many trades from sparks to locksmiths, plumbers and painters who have found better, cheaper alternatives. Tried the budget alternatives to C-a-T when I started and spent more in fees than I earned. Race to the bottom with little chance of a repeat call. The scheme run by the local trading standards(Buy With Confidence) seems to be winning converts. Anyone else used that?

i must admit all my work over the years is word of mouth.
I once tried rated people but they just ripped me off, and im trying social media but im not to good with that!

I used a site called Bark.com where you pay to respond to leads. Use was based on some leads that my wife picked up for her dog day care business. I don’t recommend it for trades as customers appear to be graded on potential value of jobs (very flawed as only the tradesman can give a quote) plus you lose money if another tradesman responds faster. Additionally a responded to several alleged leads but no customers ever responded to confirm whether or not they had found a spark. I have some suspicions that leads were fictitious just to use up points I’d paid for. Very dodgy business model so steer clear. More fool me!

i tried rated people for a while. was winning leads for small jobs, i.e. a £40 call-out 60 miles away. only upside was if i claimed a credit for a £4 lead, RP gave me a lead credit that i could use to buy a £20 (rewire) lead. they soon got wise to this though, and stopped it. they're all scams, ripping us off to line their own pockets.

Reply to CheckaTrade | MyBuilder | RatedPeople | TrustaTrader etc - Who's with what and why? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net