Currently reading:
Choosing a power supply, switch fuse size

Discuss Choosing a power supply, switch fuse size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yanu

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here.
I have qualified back in 1990 and worked only a few years in the trade. Now I'm back and I find myself a bit "rusty" and in need of a bit of help...

I have to wire a complex of coldstores and I have to make a fuse boards for a part of them. I have 6no 10 amp MCBs, 2no 20 amp MCBs and 8no 20 amp RCBOs in it. Just a few lights and sockets circuits. I have no idea what's going to be plugged in and for how long, the client can supply single or three phase.
What size switch fuse do you think I should use?
Thanks in advance

I guess ET101. Are there many differences in your opinion? for a few lights and sockets?
Quite a few differences. This would fall within the scope of Controlled Electrical Works (requiring certification) - which would mean getting a RECI Inspector to certify it since you're not a RECI member. Not sure though whether this applies if they're being shipped to Scotland.

Thanks Spoon :) I just thought it would be a simple enough task to wire a few lights and sockets and everybody is making a big deal about it without really telling me anything...

This may have me coming across as an arse (nothing new there), but I'm finding it hard to totally understand everything.

Correct me if I'm wrong with the below.
You have 6 rooms, used for coldstores, which you are going to add sockets and lights to.
You intend to have one dist board for supplying all the 6 rooms.
This contract is manufactured in Ireland and then shipped to Scotland.
Are these 'rooms' like shipping containers or something? What size are these rooms?

This may have me coming across as an arse (nothing new there), but I'm finding it hard to totally understand everything.

Correct me if I'm wrong with the below.
You have 6 rooms, used for coldstores, which you are going to add sockets and lights to.
You intend to have one dist board for supplying all the 6 rooms.
This contract is manufactured in Ireland and then shipped to Scotland.
Are these 'rooms' like shipping containers or something? What size are these rooms?

Thanks spoon.
This complex has 11 "rooms" built and ship individually. They'll be assembled here in Ireland and shipped and put together in Scotland. 6 of them are coldstores and have fridges in them. 5 of them are only "ambient" and don't require a fridge. This rooms are about 13m x 3m average size.
Yes, I'm planning to have one distribution board for those 6 rooms.
With this distribution board I'm supplying:
25 lights, 5 foot LEDs,
23 sockets
2 hand driers
2 air conditioners

How would you build the distribution board with your knowledge and under the rule of your country?
I'd like one breaker for lights and one for sockets for every room

Thanks for your time

6 of them are coldstores and have fridges in them

So you are supplying power to these 6 rooms (with fridges in) and the other 5 rooms is not your responsibility?

25 lights, 5 foot LEDs,
23 sockets
2 hand driers
2 air conditioners

These quantities don't make sense mate.
Why not 24 lights and 24 sockets, then you can have 4 per room?
What rating are the hand dryers, air cons and fridges?

no architect or engineer. The client told the contractor what they want. The contractor tells us (sub contractor) what to do.

Then the contractor should be specifying what is needed per room in his specification that he gives to you.

I have never said we dont have drawings guys. The guy in our office did them based on the client information. I know exactly how many sockets, where they go and how many lights in each room.

The rooms with fridges comes with an electrical panel. Each panel has a 32amp isolator. These are fine, I'm not worrying about them, everything is wired back to those panels.

The rooms without the fridge are the issue.

The lights are 63 w leds
hand driers 1500 w each
air conditioning units needs a 20 amp breaker each (from instructions)

Sorry for the misunderstandings but english is not my mother tongue, I'm not irish but live here.
Thanks

Thanks Spoon :) I just thought it would be a simple enough task to wire a few lights and sockets and everybody is making a big deal about it without really telling me anything...

If you think it is simple then go ahead and do it. It's not us making the big deal out of it - the problem is, you don't seem to know how to design a circuit, or how many sockets can go on a circuit. And you don't seem to have considered RCD protection.

If you are waiting for someone to tell you exactly how to do it then I would say the job is beyond your capabilities and you shouldn't be doing it.

If you think it is simple then go ahead and do it. It's not us making the big deal out of it - the problem is, you don't seem to know how to design a circuit, or how many sockets can go on a circuit. And you don't seem to have considered RCD protection.

If you are waiting for someone to tell you exactly how to do it then I would say the job is beyond your capabilities and you shouldn't be doing it.

There is rcd protection for the sockets with the rcbos.
I have not worked as electrician for about 20 years, I was only asking for help and found the people in this forum quite unfriendly. All very good to say what I can't do but nobody seems to be able to say what they would do in this situation

Yanu, all I can say is you are a braver man than me to come on here and declare you do electrical work for a living and "guess" at circuit design because your boss tells you to do the work.

Are you surprised that you are getting ripped to bits here?

I think you need to discuss further training with your boss or ask to be accompanied by a more experienced person when carrying out such a job.

All the best, I hope your boss gives you the support you clearly need.

Sym

Yanu, all I can say is you are a braver man than me to come on here and declare you do electrical work for a living and "guess" at circuit design because your boss tells you to do the work.

Are you surprised that you are getting ripped to bits here?

I think you need to discuss further training with your boss or ask to be accompanied by a more experienced person when carrying out such a job.

All the best, I hope your boss gives you the support you clearly need.

Sym
Yes, I'm surprised and very annoyed Sym. I dont think it's a big deal for you and the other guys to say something like: 6 mcbs of that size and 8 of the other. Maybe you dont know yourself...

Reply to Choosing a power supply, switch fuse size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock