Discuss Commercial Tumble Dryer - 13a Fuse ? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steve D

Hi All,

Commercial tumble dryer spec is elec heating 3.1kW, and motor rating of 246W.
This works out to be about 14.5A - would you say this is acceptable on a 13A plug top or FCU ?

Cheers
Steve

I've seen 3.2kW kettles on the uk market though.

The motor will already be up and running before the heating contactor pulls in, so startup current can be disregarded.

But what about the appliances that are available on the market rated at 3.2kW, which is over the 13A limit ? Surely it's not completely black and white if these appliances are given CE to be able to be run on a 13A plug.

We supply commercial laundry equipment and we want to be able to sell this dryer to be able to be run on 13A.

An electric kettle at 3.2Kw is only a short term overload and if it comes supplied with a moulded plug, then the manufacturer has taken responsibility for it.
A tumble dryer at 14.5a and running for half an hour or more is a continuous load, the fuse would eventually fail, you might find the plug gets warm and it would certainly highlight any loose connections or wear and tear of the socket.

It is up to you, if you supply it and fit it with a 13a plug, you take responsibility for it.:)

So you're saying that as long as it's a short term load then you're allowed to go over the fuse size ? Sounds a bit wishy washy to me.

At first, I assumed things were black & white; over 13A is a no-no, but then I found appliances over 13A supplied on a 13A plug.

Delonghi do a deep fat fryer at 3.2kW - would these be classed as short term loads. I don't own a fryer but I would suspect that fryers are on for much longer than kettles.

Common sense says 13A is too small (Ib<In) but there are appliances on the market that exceed it

@Steve D
I'm not saying that going over 13a is allowed, what i'm saying is that it's up to you to decide, you have had clear answers from the people here to your question.

There is nothing to stop you investigating those very same regulations that the manufacturers have to adhere to, maybe there is some leeway allowed.
Don't forget you are asking the question of a group of people, (who for a living), when faced with a piece of equipment, read the ratings label and install a circuit capable of carrying the stated load.

I get the impression that you're only interested in an answer that suits your purpose.

But what about the appliances that are available on the market rated at 3.2kW, which is over the 13A limit ? Surely it's not completely black and white if these appliances are given CE to be able to be run on a 13A plug.

We supply commercial laundry equipment and we want to be able to sell this dryer to be able to be run on 13A.

I am not going to say yes or no to fitting a 13a plug as it is not my call at the end of the day.
What I will do though is qoute from the Amicus guide to good electrical practice so that you are aware of the guidelines as stated in that book.

"The current demand of a final circuit can, where appropriate make an allowance for diversity.... These can be used for assessing the maximum demand of an electrical installaion or the design current of an individual circuit"

There is a chart in the book that gives percentages for various items of equipment ie cooker= 10A + 30% of the remaining load.
There is no tumble dryer listed in the chart, but at the end of the day it is meant as a guide. It will be up to a competent person with knowledge of the equipment to make a decision as to diversity being applied or not, and then selecting the approprite protective device.

Hope that helps.

Reply to Commercial Tumble Dryer - 13a Fuse ? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net