Discuss Completion of EICR with bunched lighting circuits due to borrowed neutral in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparks7

When there is a borrowed neutral in a domestic property between the upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits, and they are bunched in the RCBO (Code C3), you have 2 furthest point lights, so how do you complete the certificate, Do you change the numbering on the cert, and test both lighting circuits individually (1 and 1a)? The client does not want me to rectify the C3's only the C1s and C2s. HELP because I cannot find any guidance on this anywhere and am completing job soon.

I would test the end of both radials and note the highest reading on the cert. Make a comment about what you have done to rectify the shared natural. What other faults have you found?

Thanks Dave, no other faults to be honest, but resident doesn't want any mess making in the property and I was unsure about how to complete the circuit on the certificate, so I will combine the total number of lights and note the reading is at the furthest point. Actually the smoke detectors (2x) are both wired in 3 core back to the consumers unit and also bunched in a separate RCBO with the interlink cable crimped together in the board, so same rule apply to that circuit? Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Pete its a high integrity board with 6 circuits all on their own RCBO, so no nuisance tripping unless I split the lighting circuits.

Its now only one circuit so id only record one value, Test at both ends and record the highest value. In a two story house you will find that its usually same m2 therefore the readings for each radial will be similar (Unless of course there is faults)

How many lights (Watts) are on each of these lighting circuits?

Wouldn't call a single lighting circuit the end of the world, I (and millions of others) have survived with it for years. Less of a discrimination issue with multiple RCBOs as well

I'd test both ends, record the highest and make a note of it like others have suggested.

Just remember they had to do things like this back in the day with all the problems such as cheap materials, plentiful work, simplicity of fusebox, not having to pay scheme providers, cheap van running costs, bonding what bonding? etc. :dozey:

If you had a that famous compromise of a board to comply with the 17th edition regs (twin rcd)then separate lighting circuits could be an issue, because,any socket circuit up or down may leave the householder with no lighting and no socket to plug a lamp into in that area of the house

You have an all rcbo board with one lighting circuit,it has no borrowed neutral (unless its parted and then becomes 2 lighting circuits,with you now introducing the borrowed neutral problem)
If the lighting goes out,there will be sockets available for a plug in lamp,it affords just as much conveniance as the compromise twin rcd boards

The way I see it,there is no issue with the installation,as it is
Smoke alarms could do with coming off the lighting rcbo as well. instead of on their tod

Reply to Completion of EICR with bunched lighting circuits due to borrowed neutral in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net