Discuss Component name on a laptop motherboard. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

once worked for Rediffusion. first cable T|V system. channel selector on windowsill, got wireless as well.

I guess I better not mention RRL and MFM control boards for 10mb harddrives, 640kb memory and 5.25 floppy ;)
I was not involved in domestic electrics back in the day but judging by all the old houses with old wiring that I have been to to unvestigate faults it would seem that anybody was doing house wiring before competent persons scheme came along to try to sort things out.
When is it going to be a criminal offence to do electrics without being competent / licensed

I guess I better not mention RRL and MFM control boards for 10mb harddrives, 640kb memory and 5.25 floppy ;)
I was not involved in domestic electrics back in the day but judging by all the old houses with old wiring that I have been to to unvestigate faults it would seem that anybody was doing house wiring before competent persons scheme came along to try to sort things out.
When is it going to be a criminal offence to do electrics without being competent / licensed

No your quite right bad workmanship is something that as not just happened, it as always been a part of our industry and afraid to say it will always be.

The trouble is poor tradesman coupled with DIY'ers and Stan from down the pub who can dabble a bit is a fact of life. Yes there are many a death trap out there, but I still wager you can find just as many VIR installations that are as sound now as when they were installed 50 odd years ago.

One of the last lofts I got up in was a friends Victorian house and there was the lead sheathed Twin cable, dressed around the loft on buckle clips and out of curiousty I IR it and still got 500 on the meter, my mate reckons he remembers the rewire done when he was a kid and that must have been 50 odd years ago, all the cables dressed into adaptable boxes and then single down to roses that had been fitted in the 70's. It was a work of art, and most likely would have lasted another 50 years.

No your quite right bad workmanship is something that as not just happened, it as always been a part of our industry and afraid to say it will always be.

The trouble is poor tradesman coupled with DIY'ers and Stan from down the pub who can dabble a bit is a fact of life. Yes there are many a death trap out there, but I still wager you can find just as many VIR installations that are as sound now as when they were installed 50 odd years ago.

One of the last lofts I got up in was a friends Victorian house and there was the lead sheathed Twin cable, dressed around the loft on buckle clips and out of curiousty I IR it and still got 500 on the meter, my mate reckons he remembers the rewire done when he was a kid and that must have been 50 odd years ago, all the cables dressed into adaptable boxes and then single down to roses that had been fitted in the 70's. It was a work of art, and most likely would have lasted another 50 years.

I'll wholeheartedly second that opinion Malcolm, ...You often here on these forums about how bad these cables and installations are, when in reality it has only ever been the striped tails of these cables that have been any problem. That, ...was mainly caused by heat from enclosed incandescent light fittings and overloaded socket outlets etc... I've never striped back a lead sheathed or TRS/ CRS cable and found the insulation perished or cracking up, on any cable that had not been abused. By abused, i mean cables that had been subjected to continuous overheating or overloading beyond there rating by homeowners adding additions and additions... (extra socket outlets, multi gang adaptors etc)

I would also rank those old buckle clips, superior to the modern day plastic clips in both appearance and longevity. Plastic clips seem to degrade with age and crack, whereas those old tinned copper buckle clips seemed to just last forever...lol!!! As you say, you can make a surface installation look a work of art with them!! I wonder how many sparks these days even bother to clip cables in loft spaces, probably more don't, than do ...lol!!!

When i rewired my parents old house, i actually used the pulled out 7/029 TRS to wire up the garage sockets, and when i checked the wiring prior to selling the house in 2001, ...all was still in excellent condition, and probably still there to this day, all installed in Galv conduit and Galv trunking with MK metal-clad accessories!!!
That old rubber cable stands up to the freezing UK weather far better than today's PVC cables ...lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, meant RLL topquark. Good ole days. As for the cabling, i have IR tested to 500V a few rubber cables and if they test ok then I leave well alone, upgrade the CU and move on.

Mozzo, you scare me! :(

I was a bit flipant but for completeness I recommend rewire for these old cables but if client does not want rewire and cables check out then it is tested and I leave alone. Cannot force client to take action and naturally a rewire is more benificial for me.

Hahaha!!.....Don't be intimidated by your judgement on older cables!!! Some are still in almost as good as condition as when they were installed. Many more installations are just as sound, apart from those cable connection tails, where the insulation is cracking and flaking off!! Yes, always a good idea to rewire such installations, they have been in there some 50 odd years when all said and done, and few if any lighting circuits included a cpc...

I was a bit flipant but for completeness I recommend rewire for these old cables but if client does not want rewire and cables check out then it is tested and I leave alone. Cannot force client to take action and naturally a rewire is more benificial for me.

Back in the day, when I was still self employed and facilitating the requirements of some insurance companies! Some of the horror stories I could tell you about in connection with properties which had burned down as a result of rubber cables. It turns my stomach just thinking about it. But you are quite right, you can’t hold a gun to a clients head. There is only so much you can do!

Reply to Component name on a laptop motherboard. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net