Discuss Conductors not connected in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can anybody give the reg number that states that any conductor not connected whether in a multi core cable or single in a containment system should be connected to earth.
I may be wrong but as far as I am aware this is good practice and there is no reg stating it should be done.

Looking forward to being corrected.

thanks all.

They should be terminated for safety ... earthing is an option, just consider a fault between line and the unused core if it is floating around its potentially a hazard to someone; terminating the end and mark up as spare core if not to earth, any following sparks should still use safe testing procedures t won't be at added risk from it just floating about exposed end.

They should be terminated for safety ... earthing is an option, just consider a fault between line and the unused core if it is floating around its potentially a hazard to someone; terminating the end and mark up as spare core if not to earth, any following sparks should still use safe testing procedures t won't be at added risk from it just floating about exposed end.

same here capped and sleeved with heat shrink and labeled spare

The best way I’ve come across was the way I was shown as an apprentice.
Each core is terminated in order in what ever type of connection you are using. A 27 core, core 1 at the top, core 27 at the bottom or L>R. Any interconnects run in singles between the various multi core cables. Makes fault finding easy and looks good. You open a terminal chamber with 1000’s of terminals, you want some semblance of order not a rats nest at the bottom. We never earthed unused cores as many times we would be working on live systems, working from one end of a chain of TB’s to the other.

The bottom line, terminate them properly.

Thanks guys just as I suspected.
The reason I asked is that in response to a fault that was raised was that it is in the regs that spare conductors should be connected to earth.
I am unaware of any such reg or able to find one.
As the replays state it is good practise should any faults occur along with possible induced voltages that may be generated in a unconnected cable.

Thanks again

Reply to Conductors not connected in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net