Currently reading:
Conduit used for mechanical protection only

Discuss Conduit used for mechanical protection only in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
What are your thoughts using metal conduit just for mechanical protection. In the past the regs said if a short piece of metal protection was used for just mechanical protection it needn't be earthed. The reason I ask is that I've just installed 2 x 20mm lengths flush side by side for the solar electrical cables from loft to inverter / mains position.
Each length 3.75m long. That possibly not a short length. I have installed an earth wire to loft space and will earth them using clamps. Just wondered though, is it really necessary to comply with 17th? Thanks

solar panels are the easiest thing to install ever.

you get a bracket that you fix to wall etc

the inverter slides onto this.

plug on end of cable, then plug into the inverter and other end into the inverter job done.

forgive me if im wrong but aren't you supposed to supply local isolation?

Thanks for that. I will ask Solar people/ customer as to why inverter down stairs out of interest. There is plenty of room in the loft. They have installed 2 x rotary isolators in the loft in readiness to take cables down to mains via conduits.
the install sounds crap, there isis suposed to be an ac and dc isolator local to the inverter.

mastervolt invertera come in two parts that screw together so they are very easy and light and even sunnyboy imverters etc are not that bad

solar panels are the easiest thing to install ever.

you get a bracket that you fix to wall etc

the inverter slides onto this.

plug on end of cable, then plug into the inverter and other end into the inverter job done.

forgive me if im wrong but aren't you supposed to supply local isolation?

Solar people doing everything from start to finish. If they want me to do something for them to make life easier for them then i'm more than willing, it's not a problem. When you say isolation switch , do you mean the DNO isolation switch which I'm told some solar companies insist on.

Solar people doing everything from start to finish. If they want me to do something for them to make life easier for them then i'm more than willing, it's not a problem. When you say isolation switch , do you mean the DNO isolation switch which I'm told some solar companies insist on.
no i mean sp+n isolators for dc and a sp for the ac as well local to the inverter

and dp isolation is required at the board if i remember correctly

Reply to Conduit used for mechanical protection only in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock