Discuss Confused - Telaris 0100 plus in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just picked one of these up on a famous auction site. The voltages, low and high resistance ranges all appear to be working fine but it's not calibrated. I know it's getting on a bit (16th Edition!), but it's fine for learning with at the price I paid for it.

My confusion is in which test is it for Ze? The manual is singularly unhelpful, using terms which are probably German and which I'm not familiar with.

I have a feeling that "Mains internal resistance measurement / short circuit current measurement" (RI,IK) might be Ze and ISC. The connection shown is for 3-wires at a socket though, not at the CU.

It also has "Loop impedance measurement / prospective short circuit current measurement" (ZL, IPSC) which I think might be Zs and "Loop impedance measurement without RCD tripping" which seems to be the same thing but at a lower current. Once again, these are shown as 3-wire connection at a socket.

I have very little experience in installation testing so coming across unfamiliar terms is a problem I don't need really. :)

I suspected as much, but the manual makes them appear different. It also shows all three options as being tested at a socket, using a LNE connection. Now it could be that N is only being used to read the voltage and hence to calculate the short circuit current - that it doesn't take part in the impedance test at all.

Some testers have an option of doing loop test L-N or L-E
think my fluke one is like that and you use a soft button next to the display to change between them.

This one is old. The manual is written on papyrus...

There are the three related switch positions and it displays both the impedance and the fault current at the same time, the latter being calculated using either 230V or the measured voltage if it differs by much. I strongly suspect that's why it always uses a N connection.

Mains internal resistance / Short Circuit Current (IPSC)
Set dial to RI, Ipsc (switch pos 4)

PFC / PEFC testing in circuits without RCD
Set dial to ZL, Ipsc (switch pos 5)

PFC / PEFC testing in circuits with RCD
Set dial to RCD - ZL, Ipsc (switch pos 6)

None of the variations are connected at the CU according to the manual, always to a socket. I would have thought that the first option would have to be connected there or it will see the internal wiring.

You connect it to where you want the measurement to be taken!!!

s-l1600.jpg

One of these, I've still got mine in the van and use it as a backup meter. Bought it in about 2005 or so and it still works perfectly.

From the top of my head, the first is voltage/frequency etc, then low ohms using the comp button to zero the leads, then insulation testing. After that is the loop test/PFC, RI is I think Line to Neutral and Rs is Line to earth, both of these are the high current setting so will trip an RCD.

All the settings on the dial with the line round them are to do with RCD's. so Rs is the low current earth loop test, cant remember what UB/RE is but the next one Ta is the RCD tester followed by the RCD ramp test. Lastly its the phase sequence test.

Good point James. It would have been nice if the manual had mentioned which of the leads were being used for what though. It simply shows the LNE socket with a plug being connected to the MFT. It describes what is being tested, so it's pretty obvious that the test is across L and E, but there is no mention of why N is connected or of testing at the CU to isolate the rest of the circuit. I'm not knocking the manual, it might make complete sense if you are testing to VDE standards.

Thanks, Oscar - that's the one. :) Your info is very useful. No doubt I'll figure it all out now. The first three positions are fine, I've used it on those just to prove that it's working. I just knew I'd find a use for those 5M 0.5% resistors that I got at a radio rally. :)

After a little experiment the clip on the LH side of the holster is nice to put your RH test probes in while you hold the other probe with your left. Reasonably ergonomic.

Reply to Confused - Telaris 0100 plus in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net