Discuss Confused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Anyone using Sureway prewired JB's for complete house wires?

Sounds a bit like the old central point ''Octopus'' wiring system of the 70's.... Didn't really catch on, and many got ripped out, not that many years after they were installed. Weren't too readily adaptable for additions etc, and often ended up with needing additional JB's to get over the central Octopus systems restrictions, which basically nullified any perceived or otherwise advantages of the system...

JB's on a rewire or new build. That's as rough as a badgers...

Next thing you know they will be allowing Limitation's on the Installation Cert's. The world is going Mad.

really ? Feed in the switch then switch to light, neutrals in the wago. Easy to second fix, easy to trace, no brown sleeving needed. Simples

In T&E, that's the very LAST way i'd ever wire a house!! Switch looping can lead to backboxes being well an truly packed, and for no good reason either!!

Also opens the door to allow DIY'ers to easily get up to all sorts of unmentionables on a lighting circuit!!!

There seems to be a growing desire to have a 'one size fits all' approach to methods in recent years. Maybe Part 'P' is to blame? Maybe it's lack of wider experience of other methods? I'm not sure what the cause is, but it's not a good thing IMHO.

I use whatever method is best suited to the installation at the time. For example, I've just done a rewire of what was a completely gutted three bed stone built terraced house. There are three rooms that have downlights, kitchen, bathroom, and living room. They are wired in a variation on the spider, in this case three legs supplying two D/Ls each, which means three junction boxes. The JBs are 100mm adaptables containing Wago connectors. Each one is accessible (above the CU for the kitchen, in the soild stack boxing for the bathroom, and under the stairs for the living room). All the cables are labelled going into the boxes.

The reason for doing it this way on this job is that the 140 year old floor joists don't need to be drilled. Doing so would weaken them to an unacceptable level, so on this job using junction boxes was the best solution to overcome something which has nothing to do with the electrical installation directly.

The same work in a different house and there may no be a single JB, and the DLs would be daisy chained.

Horses for courses, and the reason that a signature is required for 'design'. Although that does assume that someone gives some thought to it and actually does do a design rather than just nailing up a collection of cables!

I don't think anyone experienced, is daft enough to think there is a ''One Size Fit's All'' method, ....as you say, the design and installation method should suit the installation....

I have a cousin that owns a 160 odd year house, and his joists would put any modern day house joists to shame, most being 3 to 4'' wide and as hard as steel. A good few years ago, i literary blunted a good flat wood bit, drilling a hole in just 3 of them, the last i had to finish off with an auger drill and it didn't do that drill much good either.... No way a 20mm hole was going to weaken those joists, wherever the hole(s) were drilled along it's length.... lol!!

I don't think anyone experienced, is daft enough to think there is a ''One Size Fit's All'' method, ....as you say, the design and installation method should suit the installation....

I have a cousin that owns a 160 odd year house, and his joists would put any modern day house joists to shame, most being 3 to 4'' wide and as hard as steel. A good few years ago, i literary blunted a good flat wood bit, drilling a hole in just 3 of them, the last i had to finish off with an auger drill and it didn't do that drill much good either.... No way a 20mm hole was going to weaken those joists, wherever the hole(s) were drilled along it's length.... lol!!

True, but there seems to be a lot of things that are described as "you must" "you can't" or "the way it should be done is". Junction boxes being the current topic, people are saying that they shouldn't be used when as you've said the installation method should suit the installation.

A good case in point are the joists, which are 6" by 3" as you describe. Unfortunately these have been subject to quite a bit of less than sympathetic DIY and 'work' over that 140 years. Channels cut on the undersides, holes drilled for cables in the '70s, additions made and channels cut into the top faces etc. 140 years allows for several generations of cowboys and idiots to do their thing!

True, but there seems to be a lot of things that are described as "you must" "you can't" or "the way it should be done is". Junction boxes being the current topic, people are saying that they shouldn't be used when as you've said the installation method should suit the installation.

A good case in point are the joists, which are 6" by 3" as you describe. Unfortunately these have been subject to quite a bit of less than sympathetic DIY and 'work' over that 140 years. Channels cut on the undersides, holes drilled for cables in the '70s, additions made and channels cut into the top faces etc. 140 years allows for several generations of cowboys and idiots to do their thing!

If we are talking about a ''typical'' installation in the general sense of the word, there would be no need for any JB's whatsoever. It's only when we get outside of the typical and into specifics that JB's can or will become viable!!

You'll be surprised just how much punishment a 6'' X 3'' joist can take. And if there are that many existing unused holes and slots in these joists why cant you use them for your cables to pass through??

Weren't many cowboys about for the vast majority of those 140 years, it's only relatively recently the cowboy has evolved...lol!!

Reply to Confused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net