Discuss Confused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In T&E, that's the very LAST way i'd ever wire a house!! Switch looping can lead to backboxes being well an truly packed, and for no good reason either!!

Also opens the door to allow DIY'ers to easily get up to all sorts of unmentionables on a lighting circuit!!!
Have you been on a new build site in the last 10 years?? They are all wired like this with fed switches. We don't install 16mm boxes anymore!! Makes 2nd fixing light fittings much quicker and all terminations still accessible.

Have you been on a new build site in the last 10 years?? They are all wired like this with fed switches. We don't install 16mm boxes anymore!! Makes 2nd fixing light fittings much quicker and all terminations still accessible.

ive been on about 3 self new builds and each one was done different.

loop in and out on two of them in twin and the other had single+cpc cable

I've worked on nothing else but large so-called blue chip projects, and i can assure you, none that i've worked on loop feed neutrals through switches. Oh and i've never seen 16mm switch back boxes on any project. But then you are probably talking about the likes of throw em up quick new house builds, where anything goes, if it save a few pennies. Nothing against a neutral being at a switch point, ''IF'' it is required to be there. other than that, it's just filling up space in any back box!! Who the hell wants to chop in 35mm back boxes on a domestic installation anyway and then have 3 T&E's to each light switch to supply in many cases a single light point. It's about as daft as pulling in a separate CPC in metal conduit!!

Excuse me? I just don't see what you are getting at, considerations for a pendant flex are completely different to installation wiring.

Yeah, pendant flex not subject to overload - fixed wiring is.

If you are going to mix cables in a circuit then protection should be applied to the smallest cable unless you can demonstrate overload protection elsewhere (eg RFC spur)

I've worked on nothing else but large so-called blue chip projects, and i can assure you, none that i've worked on loop feed neutrals through switches. Oh and i've never seen 16mm switch back boxes on any project. But then you are probably talking about the likes of throw em up quick new house builds, where anything goes, if it save a few pennies. Nothing against a neutral being at a switch point, ''IF'' it is required to be there. other than that, it's just filling up space in any back box!! Who the hell wants to chop in 35mm back boxes on a domestic installation anyway and then have 3 T&E's to each light switch to supply in many cases a single light point. It's about as daft as pulling in a separate CPC in metal conduit!!

Fair enough, you do large commercial projects and not houses. 25mm box is perfectly adequate, nearly all are dry lined (around here anyway), 12.5mm Plasterboard, Around a 10mm Dab, Around 2-3mm skim = no chasing required :)

I personally don't feed (L+N) switches without reason -

Looping in/out light fittings uses less cable (normally) and has the added bonus of making it more difficult for Mr DIY to change his own light fittings.

I personally don't feed (L+N) switches without reason -

Looping in/out light fittings uses less cable (normally) and has the added bonus of making it more difficult for Mr DIY to change his own light fittings.

Well when I do a quick job on way home to change a couple of pendants for fancy light fittings with no room inside, I know what I am hoping to see :)

Reply to Confused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net