Discuss Confusing part P!!! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mtilston

Having looked at the recent changes in notifiable works (part p) it seems almost everything except CU changes new installs and works in bathroom can be done without the need to notify anybody.
Does this mean that I could test the any 'none notifiable' myself afterwards and not have to get in a part p kitchen fitter in to test my work afterwards.
thanks

Having looked at the recent changes in notifiable works (part p) it seems almost everything except CU changes new installs and works in bathroom can be done without the need to notify anybody.
Does this mean that I could test the any 'none notifiable' myself afterwards and not have to get in a part p kitchen fitter in to test my work afterwards.
thanks

You shouldn't be getting a 3rd party to test Part P stuff, now or before.

kitchen fitter???? that's like getting fred west to babysit your kids.

So, are you telling us that you are trained and competent to do electrical work, along with having the correct test gear and knowledge of how to use it? Are you also able to fill in all and any paperwork needed?

Yes I am a qualified electrician with all the correct test gear just not part p qualified because I don't do enough domestic work for it to be worth paying the fee.

The recent changes to Part P state that you can get a registered 3rd party to certify all notifiable works it just doesn't mention non-notifiable.

The 3rd party sign off hasn't come into play yet and if / when it does there will be a fee to become on the 3rd party register with a scheme provider.
And most people won't want to sign off anyone else's work as they then become responsible for the installation. I for one wouldn't and I'd say 99.9% of members on here wouldn't either. Oh and I certainly wouldn't let kev the kitchen fitter sign off my work ;-)

god help us, what are they going to evolve into. lol

Best they could hope for would be plumbers, maybe in a few hundreds of thousands of years. It's a bit like humans and monkeys, we are the superior species and yet we have common heritage. Sparkies and kitchen fitters/plumbers have been co-existing for many years.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife is a Part P chef.

The recent changes to Part P state that you can get a registered 3rd party to certify all notifiable works it just doesn't mention non-notifiable.

So matey, please explain how that works as the powers that be haven't come up with a "plan".

Any way what did you you do prior to the changes?

Yes I am a qualified electrician with all the correct test gear just not part p qualified because I don't do enough domestic work for it to be worth paying the fee.

So you are a fully qualified electrician with all the test gear, but you have been getting a Part P registered kitchen fitter to sign off your work ?
Technically, your kitchen fitter has been breaking the Law.

thanks
Any non notifiable work does not need notifying to Building control, however it still needs to comply with BS7671 and be appropriately inspected, tested and the correct installation certificate completing. This work can be done by a competent electrician. If different people are doing the design construction, inspection and testing then the individual people need to sign the correct part of the form.

For notifiable works [new cu, new circuit, work on circuits in the zones of a room containing a bath or shower, work on circuits in rooms containing a swimming pool or sauna heater] the work can be notified through building control directly (at a cost), the work can be notified by the installer through their own self certification scheme body, there is now legal provision for a registered 3rd party certifier (of which none currently exist) to perform an EICR on installed work and notify building control through their 3rd party scheme body.
The work would also need to be fully inspected tested and certified in accordance with BS7671.

Any other course of action would be breaching the wiring regulations and for notifiable work would be an offence under the building regulations.

Unless you do work in Wales where they have not changed anything. Anybody think it is all a waste of time?

Do most my work in Cardiff but if I decide to go over the bridge it all changes, definitely not simpler from I standing

omg has this what this trade has come too, un qualified kitchen fitters handyman call em what you like certin jobs off, glad im out of it!!!. Don't 5 years time served c&g count for anything anymore!!!?.

Reply to Confusing part P!!! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net