Discuss Connecting speaker wire to audio plugs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DanUK

-
Reaction score
Hi guys. I hope you can help me please?

I need to hook my Tv up to my AV receiver and the only wire that's between the two is a bare speaker wire (red / black). Unfortunately I cannot run any other cables that way due to the way it was plastered back in.

Doing some research it seems it is possible, although not ideal, to add Audio jack (white / red) plugs onto a speaker cable.

I've ordered 2 lots of these from Amazon so I can chop the plugs off and hopefully attach them to the speaker wires: Belkin F3Y116bf1M 1m Portable Y Audio Cable Belkin F3Y116bf1M 1m Portable Y Audio Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006W95DPU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_66w8yb1G7Z27B

Here's my questions if I may:

1) if I were to chop the ends of the above and strip the wire could I use a terminal block connector to connect them? I.e red speaker wire to the red audio plug wire?

2) would it be better to solder these together?

The terminal connector block I mention is:

3A BLOCK CONNECTOR STRIP for jointing cable 3A BLOCK CONNECTOR STRIP for jointing cable: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZWE7HW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_V8w8ybM30MK8G

Just to also mention there is only one speaker cable so hopefully the red wire can hook up to one, and the black to the other?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Like you said -
it will work but is not ideal,
the main problem is likely to be hum
as the wire is unsheilded
how ever if there is no hum
then you may just get away with it.

I'm not sure this will work.

I presume you are hoping to use one core for video and the other for audio.

The problem as I see it is that you only have two cores when you effectively need four.
You need a signal plus a ground for each with the ground usually doubling up with the screen which you don't have.

You may be best looking at a wireless alternative such as One For All SV1760 Wireless HDMI Sender: Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers - https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-All-SV1760-Wireless-Sender/dp/B01BMG9UE2/ref=pd_day0_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V86HF0B6W5RAFX197DY2

There are two problems with using your speaker cable. One is that it is not shielded (aka screened) so it will tend to pick up interference and hum on the much more sensitive line level connection that you want to make with it. The other is that you only have two conductors when you actually need three, Left, Right and Ground which completes the circut for both channels and would normally be via the shielding.

If the equipment at both ends is grounded to mains earth via nearby socket outlets on the same circuit, then you might be able to send left down one core and right down the other, however it will be even more prone to picking up hum and if the source end gets disconnected from ground while the volume is turned up at the destination, you will get an ear-splitting, speaker-destroying level of buzz. If either end is not grounded (e.g. is double-insulated and has 2-core mains flex) then you would have to add this otherwise you do not have a complete circuit for the audio and you will simply get the horrendous buzz.

The only way you can reliably get clean line-level audio through a speaker cable is to use a balancing transformer at each end to convert the unbalanced phono connections to balanced (symmetrical, neither wire grounded), but in this case you definitely need both cores of the cable for one channel in which case you can only send mono, i.e. you will have to mix L & R at the source and feed the mix into both channels at the destination.

I don't recommend any of the above, I think you will want a wireless solution or a new 2-pair screened cable installed.

I assume its just for audio feed from TV to amp. Your TV will have L and R audio outputs and so will the amp (inputs). You can try using one core for each but, as said by others, the cable should be screened. However, over a short distance, less than 1m, you might be lucky. Try it. Soldered, always.

Thank you very much for the replies. I'm so glad I asked.

Just to clarify it's only for audio (L and R) - the av receiver is a Pioneer VSX330 4K Home Cinema Receiver Pioneer VSX330 4K Home Cinema Receiver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014Q2LOMA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YME8ybAEMV3F6

My idea was to use the 'CD' L and R inputs (second picture shows the back of the receiver).

Unfortunately I literally just have the speaker cable and nothing else. I'd have to look at a wireless option if not.

I do have a spare HDMI running down the wall too, it I don't believe I can get that to the AV receiver? The TV does support ARC but I can't see a HDMI in on the AV receiver.

Thanks again for any further help.

Thank you very much for the replies. I'm so glad I asked.

Just to clarify it's only for audio (L and R) - the av receiver is a Pioneer VSX330 4K Home Cinema Receiver Pioneer VSX330 4K Home Cinema Receiver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014Q2LOMA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YME8ybAEMV3F6

My idea was to use the 'CD' L and R inputs (second picture shows the back of the receiver).

Unfortunately I literally just have the speaker cable and nothing else. I'd have to look at a wireless option if not.

I do have a spare HDMI running down the wall too, it I don't believe I can get that to the AV receiver? The TV does support ARC but I can't see a HDMI in on the AV receiver.

Thanks again for any further help.

Oh, and the speaker cable used was: Manax 50 m Speaker Cable 2x 2.5 mm² White 100% OFC Copper Manax 50 m Speaker Cable 2x 2.5 mm² White 100% OFC: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I0UH6TA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NPE8yb9JF0E2D

Is the existing cable bare plastered in or run in a buried conduit. Could you pull out the current cable and replace with an optical lead to connect to amp???

Thanks mache. I wish I could :-( it's plastered in and I can't pull anything through it (I've tried), I think the cable was also pinned beforehand. Definitely solid.

I certainly would not recommend using the main earth as the return (in place of the missing screen) as in the event of a mains fault the fault current may end up in your TV and or AV receiver and it probably would not do them much good.

Sorry I have to admit that is a bit beyond my knowledge. As the speaker cable will (hopefully) have standard audio plugs on the end I don't think they'll be getting any power as such. Is that what you mean?

In principle is it worth trying the route I planned?

Thanks for all the help - much appreciated!

Thanks Andy. That saves me trying it. Back to the drawing board... I'll try and figure out if I can somehow utilise the spare HDMI cable and get it working with ARC!

you may be able to use a video to cat five convertor,
then send the cat 5 along your speaker wire
And at the other end a cat 5 to video convertor.

do you want to send video or audio or both ?

If the receiver does not have an HDMI input you can use an audio de-embedder to convert the ARC audio to analogue or optical, e.g. https://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/converters-scalers-c105/hdmi-4k-audio-extractor-de-embedder-with-arc-mhl-p8542/s8698 These are available with 2-channel or optional 5.1 decoding.

As an alternative, if you are handy with a soldering iron, you could make up adaptors to use a couple of the screened pairs in the HDMI cable for the analogue audio signal from the TV. Although intended for the video signals, these will work well for analogue audio over this distance. A pair of HDMI back-to-back couplers and a short HDMI cable cut in half, will give you bare ends to wire into phono plugs. Any pairs will do provided you use the same ones at both ends. This is the sort of solution I would use for my own purposes as it will work OK and I would have those bits lying around anyway. Of course if you were being mean you could cut the plugs off the installed HDMI cable and wire the ends of that into the phono plugs, but you will come to regret it as HDMI plugs cannot be refitted when you upgrade and want to use it for HDMI.

Re line-level audio over speaker leads, although I do not recommend it, it can usually be done in some shape or form. In my previous life as a live audio engineer and designer of audio equipment, I have had occasion to send audio down all sorts of weird interconnects.

Reply to Connecting speaker wire to audio plugs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net