Discuss Connection of Temp Builders supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steve2413

IMG_0049.JPGIMG_0052.jpg
I have just made up a temp builders supply with a two way consumer unit with 30ma RCD and two 32 amp breakers. How should i properly wire this into my existing supply. There are no live terminal blocks to screw into on the old consumer unit. I could wire into the red block on the right however I would need to put a further MCB in. Would this be suitable.? Also would 2.5mm cable in a ring be sufficient to connect from the old to new temporary consumer? I woundnt imagine the temporary loads are going to be great just for temp lighting and power tools etc.

i have run tails from my builders board CU into a double pole henley block and the earth into a MET. These are also mounted on the board, so when i need to connect i either use the tails taken out of the old board straight into henley and MET or use some temp ones.

Virtually the same as UKpablo but i'd remove the old board stick a switch fuse in then tails from their to the temp board ,easier to switch the complete supply off at night the inc the tails to the temp board

That looks like 2 x 32a mcb's in the CU, or am I wrong?
How far away from main fuse board is it to the new CU? I'd say you want at minimum of 6mm, don't feed it via 2.5mm off the ring, there's a good chance of overload and nuisance tripping once you have a few power tools starting up.

Can I ask you one thing, this looks like it is a domestic situation, so I'm assumming it is an house that is being totally refurbished I guess.

I'm also assuming your going to be removing that old Wylex 3036 board as the refurb is going on. IMO after you have the DNO in to remove the main fuse ( hmmmmm) fit a double pole isolator so that the tails from the meter go into it, and then take some tails out into that 2 way board.

This way you can then isolate the supply from the double pole switch anytime you need to without pulling the main fuse, or having to ask the nice people from the DNO to pull it.

Reply to Connection of Temp Builders supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net