Discuss Connector type identification in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Watto1963

DIY
Reaction score
Evening all. This connector looks a tad ill. I have checked the volts coming out of the battery pack (has 4 C 1.5v batteries) and it's 0.3v! Batteries are fine. So I suspect cleaning the connector anymore is not going to help and needs replacing?
Blowed if I can find out what this type of connector this is called (it's a bit like a rivet in so much as far as I can see it had a little neck that goes through the battery holder and is then crimped to hold it in place). Any pointers please so I can go purchase a new one?

Many thanks

Watto1963connector2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You're better off looking for battery holders and replacing the whole thing.

Reactions: DPG
You're better off looking for battery holders and replacing the whole thing.
Tried that, this is a very specific holder for a powered telescope, it has to slide into the unit and unless it's the right shape, it ain't going in. Manufacturer no longer makes them.

I would be tempted to use some solder flux and some solder to clean up the joint and make it good, you would have to be careful how much heat you use though

I would be tempted to use some solder flux and some solder to clean up the joint and make it good, you would have to be careful how much heat you use though
I was going to suggest this but I can't see how it would be achievable it is inevitable it would melt the carrier.

I was going to suggest this but I can't see how it would be achievable it is inevitable it would melt the carrier.
I agree it would not be easy to do but without a better picture of the battery holder it is difficult to suggest an alternative battery holder
My only other thought would be to drill it out and fix a new lug to the cable and fix that with a blind rivet into the battery holder

certainly a terminal, but what's the size? looks like a solderless 2.70 rivet type, could be a 3.0 too since you're using C batteries.

maybe, just maybe, you could remove it by pushing from the back using a screwdriver and replace it for a standard ring wire terminal that fits, no heat required.
might as well glue the new terminal to the holder so it doesn't jiggles around.

Never used it but how effective is electrically conductive paint just been Googling it?

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys. I have taken a scalpel and mini files to the connector and cleaned it up massively. Retest and and now works normally!! Can't believe my luck. Again really appreciate all the comments, this is a great place :)

On the same topic if I may ask for more help?

I have removed the PCB from the telescope for further testing. What I have found is if I connect the batteries to the two pin power connector and leave everything else unplugged, when I flip the power switch, the power light comes on. When I connect the two 4 pin connectors on as well and hit the power switch, no light comes on. The two 4 pin connectors go to two other computer PCBs that control the two motors on the telescope mount. For the time being I'm ruling them out as problematic until I have proofed the power PCB one way or another (seems the logical approach?).

So first questions are -
Any thoughts what might cause the above scenario?
Do you have to have the 4 pin connectors attached to allow power to flow past those pins or will power go around the PCB regardless whether the 4 pin connectors are attached or not?

As I'm likely going to need to get to the other side of the PCB, any clues how one should extract the front panel from the PCB (I have not tried yet because it doesn't look too obvious!). Attached photos of the PCB and also of a wiring diagram of it.

Any assistance greatly appreciated. I did have a contact of someone who can repair Meade PCBs but he's gone silent and support from the manufacturer is non existent in this country, so sort of no choice but to try to isolate the problem, with some help from the experts here :)

Attachments

• pcb10.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 11
  • pcb11.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 11
  • PCB diagram.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 11
From the looks of it, the connectors are clipped into moulded housings and may just unclip with a little gentle persuasion. What makes me say this is the small pawl/barb style mouldings at the tops of the recesses in the front panel... they appear to be retaining similar mouldings on the connectors.

Reply to Connector type identification in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net