Discuss Considering adding SPD and AFDD to my 17th Edition compliant CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Very good point, and to some extent my main concern with AFDD that you are not necessary spending money very wisely if there are other issues that present a higher risk of fire or shock and/or can be addressed cheaper than spending ~£2-3k on a new CU full of AFDD as the first option:
  • Old/poor cable condition
  • Lack of RCD protection
  • Incorrect overload protection (e.g. wrong fuse wire)
  • Dodgy appliances that ought to be recalled/scrapped
  • Hideous arrangements of extension leads due to a lack of planned sockets
  • No (or very basic) fire/smoke alarm provisions
  • Nothing in the way of fire blanket/extinguisher is high risk areas like kitchen/garage/workshop
  • Furniture that is high risk of fire and/or toxic fumes
  • Smoking (yes, it is a free and personal choice, but a poor one...)
Folks, open to discussion!
None of the above here, as the house has had a lot of electrical and other work properly done it appears but sadly without production of an EICR which I sought from the seller before I recently moved in, but is now in hand

Please don't think me discourteous as I really do appreciate pc1966 and catdog1121 input which has been helpful but my other issue, which you can't help me with and neither can SKY is that my landline phone and broadband is driving me nuts- the previous owner reputedly had at least two Openreach engineers to resolve problems in recent times and since September when I moved in I've had 4 more, and even now another attempt at providing me with a reliable signal thus avoiding the endless series of outtages, dropped connections, interrupted connections requiring reload, inability to login to my bank account and other regular destinations, is in train and more new equipment is awaited to attempt a satisfactory result- I'm not holding my breath for that result BUT out of necessity I shall keep my broadband usage to the very minimum ( even my mobile signal here is intermittent and that is an EE service!) and may not be back this way for a long time :(

Please don't think me discourteous as I really do appreciate pc1966 and catdog1121 input which has been helpful but my other issue, which you can't help me with and neither can SKY is that my landline phone and broadband is driving me nuts- the previous owner reputedly had at least two Openreach engineers to resolve problems in recent times and since September when I moved in I've had 4 more, and even now another attempt at providing me with a reliable signal thus avoiding the endless series of outtages, dropped connections, interrupted connections requiring reload, inability to login to my bank account and other regular destinations, is in train and more new equipment is awaited to attempt a satisfactory result- I'm not holding my breath for that result BUT out of necessity I shall keep my broadband usage to the very minimum ( even my mobile signal here is intermittent and that is an EE service!) and may not be back this way for a long time :(
Ah, we know the feeling well :(

We have been trying to get fibre since Aug 2020 and only now is it happening after we put in our own duct for around half a kilometre (partly to save time, partly to save cost).

If you have to rely on mobile broadband at home for any length of time you might want to look at the likes of this kit:

Providing you can fix it sensibly high and pointing in the right direction outside it can give you a reasonable link. It is powered via the network cable to it (kit has PoE injector) and ideally that should be outdoor UV-resistent cable, but for a few months usage then any CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable ought to do.

Cost per GB of data might be high depending on the SIM card deal used, etc, but it would be a work around until the jokers at Openreach fix the local infrastructure. Or you can get/afford fibre to the premises.

Each year over two million fires erupt all over Europe. More than one third of these due to faults in the electrical installation which prevailingly occur as a result of dangerous arc faults. S-ARC1 and DS-ARC1 provide maximum safety in all buildings, thus protecting people and valuable assets. By early detecting arc faults and disconnecting the affected circuit they offer reliable and complete protection in any type of building. so do RCD and rcbo.
I'm always suspicious of stats like these that conclude we would all be a lot safer with AFDD's once you have had a fire how do you identify the cause as an arc fault from the charred remains and it is pure assumption that an AFDD would have saved the day

From looking at past fire stats some years ago they are not that detailed and generally there is no in depth analysis of the cause so a lot of vaguely similar occurrences are generally lumped together which can distort the figures

I'm always suspicious of stats like these that conclude we would all be a lot safer with AFDD's once you have had a fire how do you identify the cause as an arc fault from the charred remains and it is pure assumption that an AFDD would have saved the day

From looking at past fire stats some years ago they are not that detailed and generally there is no in depth analysis of the cause so a lot of vaguely similar occurrences are generally lumped together which can distort the figures
That is my concern on the value-for-money front: that a lot of "electrical fires" would not be stopped by AFDD at all. For example, the various white goods that have fires unrelated to arcing (e.g. lint build up in those tumble dryers) or the likes of high power showers and poor joints where it is thermal heating and not an arc.

Now some folk would use the "if it saves one child!" sort of argument, but the reality is people have finite resources to spend and if an AFDD setup is mandated and unaffordable then work might not be done that would deal with far more fundamental electrical risks. Or they get some cowboy to do it and end up with something far less safe as a result.

If AFDD were really that good, surely we would have such detailed analysis to justify them?

£189 + VAT???? that's about 5 week's worth of diesel, 2 week's worth of smokes, and a couple of days worth of beer. AFDDDs. no thanks.

other day passed a Shell. £1.59/l

sainsburys £1.42/l

who's the rip off merchant?

atm i do about 150 miles /week, that's 5 gallons in my hiace. about £35. (unlees i'm daft enough to use shell).

Reply to Considering adding SPD and AFDD to my 17th Edition compliant CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net