Discuss Consumer unit front lost! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I have an interesting one here. Not my install.
Here is a three phase old style Contactum 12 way distribution board.
Very first issue is that the front was accidentally thrown away by builders a year ago. The new equivalent is different dimensions.
It currently has very a creatively installed perspex front, nicely displaying the chaos inside!

1615828387222.png

I guess ebay is the only option to avoid a complete board change - any other creative ideas welcome! There doesn't seem to be any old stock about locally at least.
Very optimistically, if anyone has one they have ripped out, message me!
(There are other 8 way boards on this site but not 12 way - I've checked)

I have an interesting one here. Not my install.
Here is a three phase old style Contactum 12 way distribution board.
Very first issue is that the front was accidentally thrown away by builders a year ago. The new equivalent is different dimensions.
It currently has very a creatively installed perspex front, nicely displaying the chaos inside!

View attachment 65642

I guess ebay is the only option to avoid a complete board change - any other creative ideas welcome! There doesn't seem to be any old stock about locally at least.
Very optimistically, if anyone has one they have ripped out, message me!
(There are other 8 way boards on this site but not 12 way - I've checked)
Might be worth seeing if there is a local engineers or similar that could knock one up to order out of sheet steel. Personally I quite like the transparent front -

maybe there is market for CUs that show off the hours some seem to put into making their work look perfect ? Or even go the gaming PC route and have some nice LED RGBs...

Might be worth seeing if there is a local engineers or similar that could knock one up to order out of sheet steel. Personally I quite like the transparent front -
Thanks - I like that idea.
maybe there is market for CUs that show off the hours some seem to put into making their work look perfect ? Or even go the gaming PC route and have some nice LED RGBs.
Yeah, maybe glowing more red the more amps that are flowing!

Build a box around it
It has occurred to me, but as I see it, even with a box around, the main (pragmatic) issues are:
1 - The customer can't access main isolator without sliding the perspex out. If perspex removed it would be exposing live parts.
2 - The customer can't operate / reset beakers or test RCBOs without exposing live parts
3 - fire rating at best reduced
4 - 536.4.203 - I become the manufacturer I believe!

Mitigating some of this is that it is in a normally locked plant room with only maintenance team access.
But in any case this is due an EICR soon and I don't really want to waste any of my remaining life considering how to code this!
I like the idea of trying to get a new front made. Even though that doesn't address number 4 above it's an improvement on current situation.

It has occurred to me, but as I see it, even with a box around, the main (pragmatic) issues are:
1 - The customer can't access main isolator without sliding the perspex out. If perspex removed it would be exposing live parts.
2 - The customer can't operate / reset beakers or test RCBOs without exposing live parts
3 - fire rating at best reduced
4 - 536.4.203 - I become the manufacturer I believe!

Mitigating some of this is that it is in a normally locked plant room with only maintenance team access.
But in any case this is due an EICR soon and I don't really want to waste any of my remaining life considering how to code this!
I like the idea of trying to get a new front made. Even though that doesn't address number 4 above it's an improvement on current situation.
4. might 'technically' be an issue - but a well made and powder coated front cover from a sheet metal fabricator would probably be indistinguishable from the original apart from maybe a label.

May not be exactly "cheap" for a proper one off, but likely cheaper than the alternative of changing everything and a lot less hassle.... Probably not too tricky either, other than getting the holes in the right place....

Have you tried calling Contactum to see if they have any spares for that board
Not Contactum themselves, just every merchant I know that stock them.
It sounds silly but I didn't know they had a UK operation I could phone until 1 minute ago and they look to be easy to get hold of too. Thanks.

It should be quite easy if the 8 way are the same format just shorter, to use for a pattern.
I checked this earlier and its as you say, just need longer slots and a hole in the right place for the isolator. The isolator is in fact the same size and distance from bottom. So it becomes copy this please with more room in the middle, this total height and extend these slots by --- mm.
But as pointed out its well worth trying to phone Contactum tomorrow.

Honestley, I would just quote them for a board change.

Original board is missing parts, including the front panel. that makes it a danger.
ok they have made a temporary repair using an unknown transparent plastic.
That is fine for an emergency repair to prevent injury but,
it is not type certified by the manufacturer, nobody in their right mind would sign it of as acceptable.

you may be able to get a new board that uses the same incomer and breakers, this would reduce the cost.

don't try to fix it on the cheep, do it right or not at all.

honestly, a new board like that is £300 to £400 max.

I understand, and that would indeed be my normal thinking too.
I'm not wildly excited about a board change for a few reasons including the disruption with offices, several flats and 4 houses being downstream of it, then throw in some rather old distribution cables (note the white phase colour and triangular conductors) that I'd prefer not to disturb.
It might be there is no alternative, but I think I'll see if I can get a genuine Contactum front panel first.
I'm going off the "get one made" idea now, it's either going to be genuine old Contactum or new board.
Thanks a lot for everyone helping me think this through.

I understand, and that would indeed be my normal thinking too.
I'm not wildly excited about a board change for a few reasons including the disruption with offices, several flats and 4 houses being downstream of it, then throw in some rather old distribution cables (note the white phase colour and triangular conductors) that I'd prefer not to disturb.
It might be there is no alternative, but I think I'll see if I can get a genuine Contactum front panel first.
I'm going off the "get one made" idea now, it's either going to be genuine old Contactum or new board.
Thanks a lot for everyone helping me think this through.
Genuine replacement panel, from manufacturers or second hand would be a great cheep fix.
glad you have gone off the diy fix.

had same problem with a smaller 4 way TPN DB. customer has a small workshop. knocked a plate up out of sheet steel in an hour. I'll take a photo when I'm there next.

Little update, still waiting for Contactum to call me back.
In meantime I now have a product code ( CPDBXI12 ) which always helps, and I've found somewhere that thinks they have one in stock. Fingers crossed!
If not, these boards have removable top and bottom panels which are common across the size ranges and there is an 18 way version in stock at a couple of places, so it looks like there is a relatively painless way out of this one way or another.

Contactum called back, and as thought these were discontinued in 2018 and they have no spares or scrap. They did confirm that the gland plates were uniform across all board sizes which was helpful.
Then a 16 way version came up today on ebay in new condition for £94 (co-incidence?!) so I've snapped that up.
Thanks again all.

Contactum called back, and as thought these were discontinued in 2018 and they have no spares or scrap. They did confirm that the gland plates were uniform across all board sizes which was helpful.
Then a 16 way version came up today on ebay in new condition for £94 (co-incidence?!) so I've snapped that up.
Thanks again all.
Good result, just wondering if someone is spying on your searches and put one on Ebay for you ??

Reply to Consumer unit front lost! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net