Discuss Contactor controlled distribution board via emergency stop in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ive just done 6 DT workshops like this. Eaton make a contactor unit that bolts onto the bottom of the DB. Just run the feed into the main switch on the contactor and has terminals ready for your stop circuit. Easy

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, unless this is for compliance with BS 4163, then WHY are you doing it?

Is it to comply with BS 4163?

If not don't bother, because it will cause more problems than it cures.

If it is, then there are a tonne of other stuff to be considered over and above where supplies come from!

Last edited:
No not exactly - I'm talking about a device that attaches to say an MCCB (for example) as an accessory that acts as a tripping device when its control loop is opened (under voltage trip) - you would wire your N/C E-Stops to keep the unit energised and once the control loop is broken it would drop out the main MCCB. I maintain that this may not meet requirements depending on where your planning on using it - normally for schools you would bring all relevent circuits into a control board through a series of contactors or one main one with fusing down after, then use a safety relay to monitor the E-Stops and once activated it only kills the required circuits and not the whole board, resetting of the device also has to be discussed and normally should not be accessible for students to do so, so a key control is often used, this system is also favoured so the teacher can only energise it when he needs to so when absent the power is off to said outlets or loads, this stop students messing with machinery etc when no teacher is present.

DW,
This is not just preferred stuff, school D&T classroom installations are covered by an official Code of Practice.

DW,
This is not just preferred stuff, school D&T classroom installations are covered by an official Code of Practice.

I did say the MCCB option may not meet requirements but lacking the full knowledge of the codes of practice I decided to imply letting any other member, like yourself rubberstamp it for me :)

Ive just done 6 DT workshops like this. Eaton make a contactor unit that bolts onto the bottom of the DB. Just run the feed into the main switch on the contactor and has terminals ready for your stop circuit. Easy

What about the start circuit?

I've just condemned a classroom done a few years ago with an Eaton board, because it is no where near compliant with the Code of Practice!

Reply to Contactor controlled distribution board via emergency stop in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net