Discuss Cooker Advice ? Ring main or dedicated circuit ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bilabonic

Hi All

My trusty old SMEG fan oven has finally died and i have been offered a replacemnt, brand new, never fitted at a good price.

My current oven just has one rting - 3Kw (it has top/bottom/fan elements) and is just fed off a 13a plug of the main circuit (for about 12 years when i had new kitchen installed)

The new oven i have been offered is logik LBFANB14, it stated on the label -
Total Loading 2.9Kw
Oven - 2.9Kw
Grill - 2.9Kw

BUT has a sticker near the connection stating 4mm cable ?

Is it suitable for a ring main on a 13a supply or will the electrician need to fit a 16a MCB or something nearer the oven ??

Cheers

Does your new cooker have a plug top fitted?? If the instruction state a 4mm cable is required then an Electrician will need to run a new circuit from you Consumers unit, not a bad job unless your CU is full to capacity, then it cold become a little more expensive.

Last edited:
In general it is not advised to run a heavy fixed load on a RFC intended for general use. Therefore best practice would be to run a new dedicated radial circuit.
However with a total load of 2.9kw I can see no problem with this being on the same RFC as was serving the previous 3kw oven. Neither can I see any reason for a 4.0mm cable despite manufacturer instruction. If it is not fitted with a 13a plug I would connect it to a 13a fused connection unit with 2.5mm Heat resistant flex.

Does your new cooker have a plug top fitted?? If the instruction state a 4mm cable is required then an Electrician will need to run a new circuit from you Consumers unit, not a bad job unless your CU is full to capacity, then it cold become a little more expensive.

Thanks for reply, i will look for a cooker that is 'plug and p[lay' then......

I was just confused as the Total Load was 2.9Kw which is lower than my current 3Kw on a plug ? BUT that was fitted by the kitchen fitters i think, not a dedicated electrician !!

Thanks for reply, i will look for a cooker that is 'plug and p[lay' then......

I was just confused as the Total Load was 2.9Kw which is lower than my current 3Kw on a plug ? BUT that was fitted by the kitchen fitters i think, not a dedicated electrician !!

His name wasn't Kevin by any chance?

Reply to Cooker Advice ? Ring main or dedicated circuit ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net