Discuss Cooker - Is this acceptable? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whazza22

Hi there,

Im a qualified electrician but don't do much domestic.

A friend of mine would like a fused spur installed so he can connect an extract fan above his cooker.

The nearest socket is quite a distance so would it be acceptable to install a switched fused spur next to the cooker point (with a 5a fuse) then out of the spur in 2.5mm T&E to a flex outlet plate above (next to the extract fan)?

Thanks All

Yes, as long as the reduced cable run to the FCU is within/=< 3 Meters (regs. 434.2 and 434.2.1).

why 2.5mm after the FCU ? as you will only be able to draw an absolute max of 13A after the FCU.

You could come off the outlet before the FCU in 2.5mm (reduced from 6mm) subject to the above regs and come out after the FCU in 1.5mm

Last edited:
There is nothing in the regulations apart from Reg 134.1.1 where many cooker manufacturers advise that the equipment should be on a dedicated circuit.

Providing that the existing cooker circuit is capable for the spur them to be honest I would go ahead and do it.

Reply to Cooker - Is this acceptable? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

We have a room in the house that was the kitchen. That has been relocated to a different area, so the old kitchen has been sold off and the room...
Replies
Views
I have just had my kitchen redone and the kitchen rewired with a new 6mm cable installed for an electric cooker. However I have changed my mind...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have an old Country villa in Spain. The housing electrics were not good so the house recently has been completely re-wired to a good...
Replies
Views
A friend's partner has an interesting fault, if it is a fault. She sets the shut down timer on the cooker and when the timer goes off (which in...
Replies
Views
Hi So converting a 6mm cooker connection point into a 13a unswitched fuse spur with the load being a 2.5mm pre wired cable from a oven . is this...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock