Discuss Corresponding neutral in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brightspark2010

Now Iknow we are not meant to work live guys but in the instance it was totally necessay how would one ever find a circuits corresponding neutral at a db that the conductors were not identified at and wired in single type cable?

Isolate all circuits then link out the neutral and line some where along the circuit you are trying to identify, then take a reading with your continuity tester(at the db) between the line and individual neutrals. (Make sure any equipment or lamps are disconnected as they may give you a reading). Repeat this with each neutral at the db until you get the clear reading you are looking for. This is how I would do it anyway.......no need to work live.

As others have said; simple continuity test, when dead.

Use a clamp meter that can read down to mA
Isolate circuit look for neutral that is drawing 0mA re energise circuit with a load connected observe increase in current isolate circuit observe fall in current back down to 0mA. Look out for borrowed neutrals and neutrals doubled up incorrectly. It's not nice if you get the wrong one!!! Much safer to do it correctly and isolate DB

Use a clamp meter that can read down to mA
Isolate circuit look for neutral that is drawing 0mA re energise circuit with a load connected observe increase in current isolate circuit observe fall in current back down to 0mA. Look out for borrowed neutrals and neutrals doubled up incorrectly. It's not nice if you get the wrong one!!! Much safer to do it correctly and isolate DB

Thats good way of doing it so much safer than how i've been taught! of using a voltstick.

I've been told to turn the mcb off and guess which neutral that circuit maybe be for then carefully remove the neutral, and checking with my volt stick that the neutral is dead and becomes live when i re energies the circuit. Never liked that idea but works well. Tbh every 3 phase board ive worked on have always had each conductor labbled by the previous electrician.

I'll be using the clamp method from now on though.

Thats good way of doing it so much safer than how i've been taught! of using a voltstick.

I've been told to turn the mcb off and guess which neutral that circuit maybe be for then carefully remove the neutral, and checking with my volt stick that the neutral is dead and becomes live when i re energies the circuit. Never liked that idea but works well. Tbh every 3 phase board ive worked on have always had each conductor labbled by the previous electrician.

I'll be using the clamp method from now on though.

What if there's crossed or borrowed neutrals. I'm surprised you're not dead.

You can also use a tone set but they work with the power off so it would kinda take the fun out of it. :)

the guy i'm working with at the moment have so many problems with the way he works, so i try not to listen to him its just safer like that. Testing a nursery last week, he asked if i could give him a hand, he left access to the 3 phase consumer unit and just walked off with exposed live parts which any1 could just walk in and touch. then left live switches and sockets hanging off. You guessed it toddlers were playing in the next room along. I kept telling him you shouldn't be doing that. But what do i know? i'm still an apprentice.

But i always use vde long nose pliers and i know to but the cable back in if it sparks a little.

Are you an apprentice or are you just working as a 2 man team?
  1. If you're an apprentice ask him to explian to you why these working practices are not unsafe.
  2. Take notes so you can quote his replies later in a court of law.
  3. Buy yourself a digital camera and photograph any unsafe working practices you bring to his attention.
  4. Start looking for another boss.

Supersparks - in one post you've mentioned so many bad and dangerous practices! If you are an apprentice, what level are you at for college so far?

Sounds dodgy!
I wouldn't ask an apprentice to find neutrals in a DB. Especially the way you have been taught, pull the wrong one and it's a big bank of fluorescents it's like the old rice crispy adverts snap crackle & pop! What if the one you pull is also doing the light in the mains room? Do you put it back in under load in the dark? Live terminals should only be accessible for the duration of the live testing. For everything else the circuit should be isolated

You seem to know safety more than him,i dont like the idea of toddlers wandering around near live parts,my child goes to a nursery and if i saw someone testing and doing what you have said,i think i might need to have a word.hse would have a field day with him

I'm an apprentice, working for a large large firm. I flutter between different people everyone have their own ways of doing things i've noticed its just upto me to decide which ways to do things when i go alone. Every one in our section knows what he's like but our supervisor have no guts about him and basically a yes man to his bosses. This electrician retires in 2/3 years and been with this contract for over 25 years, so it would be very harsh if they sack him.

I've asked him no end of questions about things he do in fact i do that with every one i work with to test my knowledge compared to theirs i learnt a lot by doing that and so have the guys I've been working with i think. And something i've noticed alot of his answers arn't strictly right. His response to a couple of things ive question him on was what you learnt at college was a waste of time you might as well forget that as im teaching you right. BIG headed or what?

I'll be taking notes from now on, infact i was thinking of doing that anyway for another matter he does towards me and every1 else he works with. Though i never really thought i may need it in a caught of law.

ive taken a few snaps allready sneakily while doing my portfolio

Job market isn't that great, and ive been on a rough end of a 5 week course wonder firm, therefore seeing i like the majority of this work and the money isn't too bad i'm sticking unless im not offered a job after my apprenticeship.

Reply to Corresponding neutral in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net