Discuss Council bod strikes again in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Agree with point 1. The devices are in a plastic housing, and the blanks that usually come with CUs are plastic… so what’s the difference?

Point 2.
I’ve just done an Aico expert course, and got one of those leaflets highlighting the differences between the countries.

View attachment 110139

No mention of which type of battery, even though I know the Scottish side is lithium only. They should have mentioned that.

On the other side, however;

View attachment 110140

It specifically states rental should have a tamper proof battery… which presumably means, not a 9v replaceable.
Where is it stated that it's a legal requirement to adhere to BS5839-6 when installing smoke alarms in rental properties?
As far as I'm aware, the only statutory document for England is the Smoke Alarm and CO Detector regulations as amended in 2022. There is no mention of types of alarms or batteries in that document. Even the guidance notes only say that it would be better if the batteries were of the non tamper type.
Don't get me wrong, I always strongly recommend following BS5839-6 to landlords and even homeowners, just asking the question as to the legal requirement to do so.

Where is it stated that it's a legal requirement to adhere to BS5839-6 when installing smoke alarms in rental properties?
As far as I'm aware, the only statutory document for England is the Smoke Alarm and CO Detector regulations as amended in 2022. There is no mention of types of alarms or batteries in that document. Even the guidance notes only say that it would be better if the batteries were of the non tamper type.
Don't get me wrong, I always strongly recommend following BS5839-6 to landlords and even homeowners, just asking the question as to the legal requirement to do so.
Quite, this is where I got the info from, the official .gov site

The thing is, these council employee blokes that walk round with a £1500 test meter trying to find every little fault to justify their jobs where in reality their knowledge of the regs is woeful, they have probably been on a 2 week mickey mouse course that told them consumer units need to be fireproof so plastic blanks are wrong whilst totally overlooking the fact that all the switch-gear inside it is made of plastic.

Sometimes it's easier to just let such people make their little mark on the world and move on.
Oh I agree, its cheaper to just replace them instead of arguing with someone but the thing that annoyed me is I look like the stupid one because of other peoples incompetence. If I state my case they will just argue back and say "I don't care, just sort it".

Oh I agree, its cheaper to just replace them instead of arguing with someone but the thing that annoyed me is I look like the stupid one because of other peoples incompetence. If I state my case they will just argue back and say "I don't care, just sort it".
You do both, "fix the problem" even if it is only there in the eyes of one person.
send an invoice for the extra work needed to raise it from minimum requirements for compliance with regulations
to the inspectors preferences.
and make sure it is pointed out on the invoice why it is extra.
the inspector may well get a talking to, about why his projects are running over budget.

Reply to Council bod strikes again in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net