Discuss Crimp Jointing A Lighting Circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

claret73

Hi
Mate of mine has moved a switch cable to another area from its original position. The cable is now not long enough to reach the new switch box. He doesn't want the aggravation of pulling up carpet & floors to wire in a new switch drop. I suggested (& am checking regs for this...) crimp jointing a new length of cable and sealing with Amalgamating tape.

Personally I'd pursue a new switch drop, but can't make him take up carpet & boards if he doesn't want to. (Unless my option is totally wrong?!) Would this meet Regs & are any tests required?
Cheers

Cheers Guys...
This is where the finer points are getting me. Lack of experience, 1st year on tools, 3rd year 2330.
I haven't seen anything yet, but he did say he required about 3-4m of 1.5 T&E. As the addition of new extended cable, would this then require a Minor Cert?

If no RCD then I can't do this as an extension to the existing lighting circuit without installing some form of RCD Protection?

I think it could be out for me anyhow. Haven't done any soldering...
Thanks for responses & advice. More knowledge on board
Cheers

Im afraid you will need RCD protection.

Having said that, if its purely a switch drop, why not run it in some galv conduit?

No need for the RCD then.

Hi Mac
Definitely missing something?? Took a look at that site, have seen that info before, but how would that help joining a cable that could be buried in the wall? Same as above joints (minus soldering, but look bulkier).
My only thought on these would be to join the switch cable above the light fitting as shown, this point being the extended cable part & existing cable pulled down to switch...
Cheers

Im afraid you will need RCD protection.

Having said that, if its purely a switch drop, why not run it in some galv conduit?

No need for the RCD then.

Hi Jason
Well, lessons here on how what seems on paper a simple task, that Tangents off to Regs & whys...that's what I like about this, always got you thinking
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Compliant with BS7671 17th Edition
Wago connectors meet the most stringent UK and international standards including the electrical requirements of BS7671 17th Edition. Installers can be totally confident that using Wago connectors enables them to follow 'best practice' procedures and fully comply with the most up to date safety criteria.

They are classed as a permanent connection,with no screw connections,so can be buried in the wall.17th editon compliant mate.

Crimping with red 1.5mm crimps is also classed as a permanent connection, so is viable...and slightly cheaper the Wagos.

Obviously if the wire is 2.5mm, use the blue crimps.

Pardon my Ignoranance, but why solder, would not crimping be enough? As long as the crimp is heat shrunk and protected, would this not be a permanent fix.

Pardon my Ignoranance, but why solder, would not crimping be enough? As long as the crimp is heat shrunk and protected, would this not be a permanent fix.

As far as I've always understood, yes, it would be a permanent fix. I hope so, because I always crimp! :)

I also don't use heatshrink, because a well made insulated crimp should be adequate. i.e. no visible wire.

Another thumbs up 4 the Wago's here Mac, maybe a tad expensive but save soooooooo much time especially on downlighters. We got a box with 700 different ones 4 about 50 quid :)

could have done with those today!
Customer gave me a light fitting where all cable had to be above the fitting, with the fitting tight to the ceiling! Installation was loopfed...Had to notch a small hole to put a 20A Junction Box above the Plasterboard & feed flex into the fitting...would have been so easy with pushfits I imagine?

Hey up mate spoke to the boss 2day, got the box from CEF (not sure if they are nationwide or not) and it was £55. Its got 690 different fittings from 2 way to 8 way! They are supposedly classed as a permanent joint to 17th edition so therefore dont need to be accessible, thank god! probably best 2 drop them in a choc box tho for vermin etc.

Cheers
Stu

Reply to Crimp Jointing A Lighting Circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net