Discuss Crimps in an enclosure? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Crosswire

Do crimped connections have to be in an enclosure (e.g. a choc box), or can they just sit free?

Thinking about for normal downlights......

Every termination, connection or joint between live conductors including the neutral conductor must be made in a suitable accessory or enclosure. 421.7, 526.5

I would have said being out of the way in the ceiling void is sufficient because you wouldn't be able to access them unintentionally.
Putting the crimps in an enclosure which is fixed to, say, a joist is a nice idea but in the case of downlighters that could make the joint less accessible.

I usually use a choc box with flex to feed downlights,however, because they are accessable, and crimping is restrictive (if you wanted to drop the fitting or swap it out) I find it better using connector blocks

I reserve crimping to the in accessable places and then in an enclosure
I would put them in some sort of enclosure wherever possible

I suppose, if they are not in an enclosure, then the outer insulation has to be re introduced

what if someone popped out that downlight in future and left it hanging> ie decorater? are the crimps made to take that weight? i do think i remember reading somewhere about downlights and cable cord grips???
anyone know where this is in regs or OSG?

what if someone popped out that downlight in future and left it hanging> ie decorater? are the crimps made to take that weight? i do think i remember reading somewhere about downlights and cable cord grips???
anyone know where this is in regs or OSG?

Connections must not be subject to any mechanical stress or strain. 526.6, 530.4.1

Also 526.5 (iii).................

"An enclosure partially formed or completed with building material.............."

E.G. the ceiling void

I thank you:D

Hmm I suppose the mechanical stress thing is true......

But what it looks like is irrelevant, as long as it's safe ( and unseen in the ceiling void):)

I suppose choc boxes with cable clamps is the best option......

Reply to Crimps in an enclosure? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net