Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss CU in Rented Property in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Greeny007

Hi All,

I hope am in the right place for this question.

We live in a rented property and have recently been having some issues with the downstairs lighting in particular, this has been passed on to the agent but nothing has been done as of yet. I personally don't think it is right and passed on my advice to get a periodic inspection done, as one hasn't been done in at least 3 years, probably more as that is our tenancy and the tenancy before that. Plus when I mentioned this to the agent they said it didn't need to be done, which I understand.

This morning my girlfriend got a shock from the living room light switch, it seemed an earth had popped out.

Question is on looking at the CU I noticed that only certain circuits seem to be RCD protected, I thought 17th Edition stated all circuits need to be RCD protected. I have attached a picture of our CU.

is this correct?

Many Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 162
if that had been installed since 2008, then, yes, twin RCDs or RCBOs. however, if installed prior to 17th., then as long as it's safe for continued use...... a n inspection should be carried out every 5 years or on change of tenancy. however, this is not legally binding. for peace of mind, i'd insist that one was done. as you obviously have some issues .

You raise several issues here.

Re CU, there is no requirement to retrospectively upgrade/replace a CU (or fuse box) to comply with the latest regulations (though that might be a recommended improvement).

Re the light switch, you don't elaborate as to why you think "an earth has popped out". Assuming this is a metal light switch, then it should be earthed, but there could be several reasons why it appears to not be, including that an earth has never been connected (often seen on DIY switch changes).

What are the other issues that have not been dealt with? They might suggest it is time a periodic inspection and test was done, but it needs to be done properly by someone properly qualified - all too often I come across these done for a landlord or agent that are worthless because the person ordering the inspection and test has not understood what they are buying and is only interested in the cheapest price.

pete. it's the one with the 3 yellow buttons on it.:wink_smile:

That will take some living down, this white wine sure is good, you can have some tomoz camerabloke

we all make mistakes, as the hedgehog said, climbing off the bog brush.

Thank you for your responses much appreciated. I have very recently passed my level 2 and 17th edition but lack any on site experience hence my questions.

The other issues, it started with the entrance light coming and going off on its own, then the hallway light dimming, brightening at intervals, then the kitchen light which is a 3 way switch, seeming to spark every time the kitchen light way lit (you can see a flash every time it is switched) the other two do not cause a problem, it is this light that has one earth not connected. One of the switches is part of the hallway light and all of the back boxes are metal.

We had a plumber out at the start of week and he had been asked to look at it, did something said it was ok and left, nothing was sorted and all the issues are the same, except for the shock today adding to the list. I have looked and all seems good apart from the earth issue, the agent had told me to not touch as they will sort it and I can't test and inspect anyhow.

I only test certificate I can find is one which was done when they had a dormer loft conversion done in 06 and bar the test results has no other info on at all.

Static shock, I'm not sure the girlfriend described all the pain and more for an electric shock......

Thanks,

Si

Thank you for your responses much appreciated. I have very recently passed my level 2 and 17th edition but lack any on site experience hence my questions.

The other issues, it started with the entrance light coming and going off on its own, then the hallway light dimming, brightening at intervals, then the kitchen light which is a 3 way switch, seeming to spark every time the kitchen light way lit (you can see a flash every time it is switched) the other two do not cause a problem, it is this light that has one earth not connected. One of the switches is part of the hallway light and all of the back boxes are metal.

We had a plumber out at the start of week and he had been asked to look at it, did something said it was ok and left, nothing was sorted and all the issues are the same, except for the shock today adding to the list. I have looked and all seems good apart from the earth issue, the agent had told me to not touch as they will sort it and I can't test and inspect anyhow.

I only test certificate I can find is one which was done when they had a dormer loft conversion done in 06 and bar the test results has no other info on at all.

Static shock, I'm not sure the girlfriend described all the pain and more for an electric shock......

Thanks,

Si

sounds as though there's a poor connection on the lighting circuit.

So in this instance should I,

Check the connections and rectify this?

Get the agent to get the landlord the test and inspect and rectify the problem?

I know what I would rather do but I also want to cover my a**e in case what I do would causes problems.

Oh ok. The landlord has to get more than a plumber to look at it. I need a new drive, should I get a tesco shelf stacker to look at it? I think not. TELL the landlord you believe it is unsafe and some has been injured and that you want it fixed.

I understand completely where your coming from, just seems law in electrics says anyone competent can look at electrics whether right or wrong. I know they ain't right, I know they need sorting but my agent seems less than helpful on rectifying the problem and will do everything possible to do as little as possible.

I know I could probably sort it out, but if I do something wrong everything falls on my shoulders.

Seems a no win situation.

Where are you based? I'm sure for a small cost one of the members here could investigate the shock for you. I know it's out of your pocket, but this gives you the ammo to pass to the landlord and shows your not afraid to push this further

anyone competent. yes. true. that rules out plumbers, builders, kitchen fitters, Electrical Trainee's, dave from the pub. leaves you with the definition of competent..i.e. a qualified electrician. end of.

Last plumber I saw doing "lektriks" decided the main bond wasn't important enough to the new gas pipe he'd moved a metre so left it.

Last decorator who also knew "lektriks" decided the earthing point on the class one light in the utility was the correct place to put the loop in loop out feed.

get a sparky in

haven't read all the replies but did have a quick look at the attached pic of CU. not sure what size of property it is but why are the smoke alarms on a 16a breaker and why do you have a loft RFC?! unless of coursr its an attic room...

I'd politely ask the agent to get a sparky in. You wouldn't call a sparky to fix a blocked toilet!

but a sparky would probably fix it in half the time, 1/4 of the mess, and 50% less cost than a wet-pants. and nor would he find an extra £300 worht of work needed.

Reply to CU in Rented Property in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net