Discuss CU quote - no bonding. Probably lost job in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

I've got two CU's to quote for. Just got back from one. Absolutely no bonding to water or gas. First floor covered in laminated flooring. Kitchen all tiled and concrete floor.. No access to floorboards unless ripping laminate up. Told customer can't do anything unless I bond gas and water. Customer says I've had a cheaper quote and the other electrician never mentioned gas and water bonding. I said if he hasn't mentioned it hes either not a qualified electrician or hes going to install the CU and not abide by the regs. I left it with them. Its one of them where the cowboys win again. My quote was under 300.

You left out that their property wouldn't be electrically safe without the essential bonding and who ever change board is required to make it good, then say contact the other quotee' and ask if will be bonding gas and water, if they say its extra or no then you have your answer to the kind of person he is has he should have already told you.
This will use your proffesionalism against the other quotee as well as sowing seeds of doubt about how safe the other so called electrician will leave there electrics.... they will more often than not spend the extra knowing it is done properly but usually take a few days to come to the decision.

With the conditions you describe to do the bonding your quote is more than fair. What goes around comes around.

I shall await. Just didn't get the right vibes as I left. You know if you're in with a chance normally. I think I left them with a bit off doubt. But I was only doing my job. To the regs!

Last edited by a moderator:
You left out that their property wouldn't be electrically safe without the essential bonding and who ever change board is required to make it good, then say contact the other quotee' and ask if will be bonding gas and water, if they say its extra or no then you have your answer to the kind of person he is has he should have already told you.
This will use your proffesionalism against the other quotee as well as sowing seeds of doubt about how safe the other so called electrician will leave there electrics.... they will more often than not spend the extra knowing it is done properly but usually take a few days to come to the decision.

And their part p notification won't be worth the paper it's not written on.

I've got two CU's to quote for. Just got back from one. Absolutely no bonding to water or gas. First floor covered in laminated flooring. Kitchen all tiled and concrete floor.. No access to floorboards unless ripping laminate up. Told customer can't do anything unless I bond gas and water. Customer says I've had a cheaper quote and the other electrician never mentioned gas and water bonding. I said if he hasn't mentioned it hes either not a qualified electrician or hes going to install the CU and not abide by the regs. I left it with them. Its one of them where the cowboys win again. My quote was under 300.

You've done your best, provided a competitive quote and included the mandatory bonding. Put it down to experience.

Shame Elecsa, Napit, NICEIC, etc don't spend any our money educating Joe Public.

]Its not uncommon for people not to want the bonding done, and there are always people willing to do the CU change without it - no doubt 90% of those will be those who arent registered with a scam provider. I often give out the Electrical Safety Council leaflet, and leave it with them, if they dont want it done properly - get someone else! Its not my kids that will be hurt when it all goes wrong and i'll be sleeping soundly!

You did the right thing to walk away. Print a couple out for the future - if its in print, then it has to be true!!!!:gunsmilie:

View attachment ESC Bonding explained.pdf

Good post Short Circuit.

Bonding can be a PITA sure, but when people are happy to pay thousands for a nice shiney new kitchen or bathroom, why do they look all agast at having their electrical installation made safe?

If they don't want to pay... just walk away!

Top post SC.

I had a little folder made up with these leaflets in them bonding, RCD, consumer guide when ordering electrical work, if you do it neatly and in a nice folder binder, with a covering letter about what service you provide and even a page of your general terms and conditions, it would have a much professional approach.

It always amazed me that for some if they were quoting a commercial/industrial job they set it out like a contract, but when it came domestic work it was literally written on a back of a smoke packet, I always looked professional and tried to convey that to a client, after all if they bought blinds, double glazing etc they had a nice glossy catalogue, for me it was a simple but neat little folder. Didn't work every time but as often as not when it did work you were dealing mostly with people who didn't think cheapest was best.

You've done a quote for under £300 to change a CU, install bonding to gas and water and then supply a cert and notify the work?

If there's a spark local to me doing those prices, I know why I've lost out on a few jobs now.

You've done a quote for under £300 to change a CU, install bonding to gas and water and then supply a cert and notify the work?If there's a spark local to me doing those prices, I know why I've lost out on a few jobs now.
Yes and my quote was beaten. In my area anything over 300 I've lost the job!

Not sure customers round here would pay £300+.

It all went wrong when a dreadful company started doing them for £150 and everyone else followed... They've now gone bust (twice under different names) but now the price is set!!

Hence we very very rarely get involved with domestic cu changes!

It all went wrong when a dreadful company started doing them for £150 and everyone else followed... They've now gone bust (twice under different names) but now the price is set!!

That's just nuts. Absolutely nuts.

I can only imagine how rough the work is.

The industry, on the domestic front anyway, is going to the dogs big time!

I've noticed it with plumbing too. Cheap boilers and speed fit plastic pipes everywhere.

It isn't just the Sparking & Plumbing tradews that suffer from this.

I used to own a Flightcase manufacturing company which made very good quality cases - with price tags to match.

Then along came the fly-by-night boys operating from their garages & using inferior materials to produce cases that on first sight looked just like ours, & down the prices went & so did the orders ..............

as they say they take electrix for granted and believe its not worth the money beacause it does nothing for them astheticly. unless you got a customer wanting nice silver sockets and spots to match then they know the price

Reply to CU quote - no bonding. Probably lost job in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net