Discuss Customers trying to be chancers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tell them to do one. You are the expert in the field not the chippy or the other fella. They seem like messers and need to be avoided . They are agreeing to the price now because they need the job done and will no doubt try and mug you off regarding payment later on.

I usually say customers that try and haggle "I'm not a car salesman, would you go in to Asda or Tesco and ask them for discount?"

If I get the feeling they are going to be hagglers then I usually add a bit on and then say usually it would work out at that, but since you're looking so much done the best I could do is that, and give them the real price.

If they think they're saving something it seems to stop them asking for discount, and they think they're getting a bargain.

If they still want to haggle I just say I'm sorry but that's the best I can do for the quality of materials and service I provide, 1 year warranty on all goods and 2,3&5year on various LED lighting products.

I dislike labour only work as quite often the client still expects repairs done free, But do provide labour only for any larger jobs for a few long term clients that are vat registered businesses, being that I'm not vat registered. The small jobs I do for them just get billed the same as anyone else.

You have to be very wary of such customers if they are up against it to get the work done. They can be very tricky when it comes time to pay. So many of us take our customers on face value much like work was always done without all the computer checking so many businesses now use. You get to the end and suddenly they are unavailable, cheque in the post syndrome, PC down cant do the BACS thing at the moment. If only their parents had married. Fortunately I am well past that and only tend to known friends and customers now but I do feel for the younger guys keeping the cash coming in can be a real headache.

£45 per point is not enough surely? If it's surface maybe and close by but to chase and replaster (which is what i do on most small jobs for sockets) i would normally quote £65-70 per point as chasing can be quite hard and time consuming work.
It was surface mounted in the cupboard/storage room on back of the house. My going rate these days per point and considering small amount of chasing and making good is £65. that can vary depending on the wall and finish needed. if its surface mounted then will come down obviously. there is a cowboy spark around here at the moment who is charging £30 per point. must be no tax, NI paid as he cant be making a living at them prices.

Your 20% more expensize to VAT registered customers though!
That's not quite true, 20% on materials if you buy them but same on labour.
So it is true if you supply materials which was the scenario refrenced too, so you supplying them (non vat reg) would indeed make you 20% more expensive.
true if he only supplies materials, but I'm assuming he's going to do some actual work too! :p
Labour only would not make a diference to a vat reg company, only non vat reg people it would affect making the vat reg sparks labour then 20% more expensive.
Seems we're going in circles a bit disagreeing where I think we agree so I'll just unroll the rules:
vat contractor+vat customer = n cost
vat contractor+ non vat customer = n +20% (vat on the lot)
Labour and parts non vat contractor:
non vat customer = n + 10%ish (vat on the parts)
vat customer = n + 10%ish (vat on the parts)
Labour only non vat contractor:
non vat customer = n cost
vat customer = n cost

So the poster referenced is actually 16.6% cheaper to non vat customers than a vat reg contractor. And for vat customers he would be either the same price for labour only as you state, or 20% on materials and nothing on labour as I stated.

And that's too much data for saturday night...:D

unfortunately the general public dont realise that something as straightforward to a spark as a CU change might involve upgrading the earthing, extending short wires, making sure tidy, safe and done to current standards inc testing and sometimes fault finding is the norm they only see a shiny new CU
i have had one cust ask why i was lifting floor boards for running cables for extra sockets they must think you fix to wall and they work they dont understand the work involved.
I often walk away when the customer thinks its to expensive and am not surprised when they call you to fix what someone else has done

unfortunately the general public dont realise that something as straightforward to a spark as a CU change might involve upgrading the earthing, extending short wires, making sure tidy, safe and done to current standards inc testing and sometimes fault finding is the norm they only see a shiny new CU
i have had one cust ask why i was lifting floor boards for running cables for extra sockets they must think you fix to wall and they work they dont understand the work involved.
I often walk away when the customer thinks its to expensive and am not surprised when they call you to fix what someone else has done

One that sticks in my mind was a woman that wanted a shed wiring and decking / garden lighting.

I went to do the quote I'm sure I noticed someone lurking in the lounge when I pulled up. Rang the doorbell.... no answer rang door bell again, still no answer, ended up banging (hard) the door several times,then gave up.

Next day customer called saying no one had bothered to turn up!
Rescheduled (a colleague) for the following week as no other time was convenient?

He went round did the quote sent it to the customer via email.

We then start getting several one ring calls from the customer, when we tried ring then back no answer. This went on for over a week.

Eventually the customer rang said she wanted to book the job in but wanted 40% off due to hassle she had with us not turning up and answering the phone or she would go to XYZ electrical....... Yep we told her they were really good and to go with them and then hung up!

Reply to Customers trying to be chancers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net