Discuss Cutting 300mm hole in lath and plaster ceiling? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have to fit a condensation control fan (PIV) into the hall ceiling. The hole needs to be about 300mm and the ceiling is lath and plaster!

Any tips for cutting the ceiling without damaging the surrounding lath and plaster?
Cheers

Good look above to ensure the whole hole ok to be cut out.
Hoover at the ready, I go slow using "join the dots" method with a drill and sharp pad/jab saw.

I see one guy on t'internet suggests pouring cornice cement over the top of the proposed hole cut, to stabilise the lath & plaster before cutting;

last one i did was with a jigsaw, cutting from above so i could see what was happening with the laths.

I've used bonding over the lathes but you have to wait a while for it to go off enough to cut into it - it was my house though so I got on with something else, marriage I think it was!

I see one guy on t'internet suggests pouring cornice cement over the top of the proposed hole cut, to stabilise the lath & plaster before cutting;
He could have dressed up for that video!

Cheers all. PIV unit arrived this afternoon and it requires an oval hole! So holesaws no go!

Think I will give the fine bladed pad saw a go. I also have a rotary tool with a spiral cut bit which might be ok.
Think I might try a test cut towards the middle of the proposed hole first to see how stable it is.

All done :). The multitool was great. Actually once I started it was easy as the ceiling had been overboarded so the laths and their plaster were all contained. So no need to worry.
Cheers for all the advice it was very helpful.

Reply to Cutting 300mm hole in lath and plaster ceiling? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi There Just a quick one, I'm wondering what's everyone's thoughts on this are. A subby has clipped a cable to a plaster board ceiling using 3m...
Replies
Views
I'm installing smart modules in my light switches which means I need to replace the existing 25mm back boxes with 47mm ones. Downstairs all walls...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Electrical2Go - Beginners Guide to Positive Input Ventilation (PIV) Units: A Solution to Indoor Air Quality Woes A guide to Positive Input...
Replies
Views
I'm starting a new project on Monday, new dental practice conversion from a shop. Nothing new here, customer doesn't know what electrical heating...
Replies
Views
I find myself in the position of having to fit a few back boxes in to plasterboard. In the past for the odd one I just used a hand plasterboard...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock