Discuss Dangerous mete/boiler location in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

charlie101

Hi My mother-in-law has just moved properties and the electricity supply ie Main fuse, meter and consumer unit are all in a low kitchen cuboard.Directly above the worktop is the gas boiler with all the attendant water pipes. Any leak or accident during servicing would almost immediately penetrate down to the electrics below.How does this conform to building reg's (retro-active).Any advise gratefully received.Charlie101

i wouldn't worry. anywhere a CU is located, a water pipe under the floor above could leak. water can track across joists before dripping.

i wouldn't worry. anywhere a CU is located, a water pipe under the floor above could leak. water can track across joists before dripping.
Thanks for your reply.I take your point but it just seems to me asking for trouble to put the boiler there. Cobi diverter valves need replacing occasionally as do pumps etc. It just make the whole process a lot more risky.The bit that concerns me is the main fuse which leaves no way to shut the power off. So is this OK from a building reg's perspective?

assuming the boiler was fitted by a wet-pants, what do you expect. building regs. are there for them to ignore.

Plumbers dont bother about things like water mixing with electrics, I was working last night with a sprinkler fitter, he had a pipe still with a lot water in it pouring all over the place while knocking apart a load of suspended lighting track and splitting it with water pouring onto it, then wondered why the lights stopped working.

The bit that concerns me is the main fuse which leaves no way to shut the power off.

i don't understand, you can't pull the fuse, legally, anyway?

the position doesn't concern me, other than having to lay on my belly to work on the CU while the gas fitter can just stand up.

Funny how they never hide thier boilers away, and the customers never seem to mind about the 3foot by 2foot white box on the wall with pipes running in all directions, yet you suggest a 14 inch by 9inch magnolia box, they flip thier lids saying bloody eyesore.

leave it as is, you've been hit with the H&S scare stick

Reply to Dangerous mete/boiler location in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net