Discuss Differences in regs for rental property? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Further to discussion on another thread about whether BS7671 regs are different for rented properties.

I say no.

Building regs and fire regs are different…. But not wiring regs.

There are differences in the wiring regs between domestic properties and non- domestic though.

Further to discussion on another thread about whether BS7671 regs are different for rented properties.

I say no.
The point being it's not the same for everyone.

HMO stands for houses in multiple occupation. Put simply, a rented house
There are differences in the wiring regs between domestic properties and non- domestic though.
davesparks said: The wiring regulations are exactly the same for everyone.

Last edited:
The main difference between a rented and owned property is not the regs themselves.

an owned property is simpler in many ways because once the electrics have been fitted, there is no legal requirement to keep them inspected or to some degree maintained.

an owner/occupier still has some legal requirements to keep the installation safe, however nobody is getting involved unless there is a serious incident causing fire, injury or death.

a rented property has to by law be inspected and maintained.

as far as I am aware, there is not a single reg that says anything like for a domestic property being rented then this must be done.
the regs are the same for any domestic property.

Rented properties in Scotland have different rules...but I stress these are rules, not regs. There's lots of anomalies between the two.
BS7671 is applicable, but local rules, ie Scottish Government "Rules" don't always sit side by side...it's a tricky balance. I won't go into this here, it's too long a post, but suffice to say that the Scottish Government's latest rules are not about BS7671, and their requirement for "at least one RCD" suggests that an EICR is invalid or a "fail" or "unsatisfactory" does not sit well with the actual requirements of an EICR.
As an aside, the aforementioned Scottish Government have introduced a few good regs relating to safety in rented accommodation, but they have failed to grasp the difference between "their" regs and the actual requirements of an EICR.

The point being it's not the same for everyone.

The regulations are the same for everyone.

HMO stands for houses in multiple occupation. Put simply, a rented house

Not true, an HMO is not a rented house and a rented house is not an HMO.
An HMO is a building in which people rent rooms and have the use of common facilities. There are multiple tenancy contracts, each tenancy is separate from the others.
A rented house is a house which a person, or persons, rent and do not share facilities with other renters. There is only one tenancy contract.

All of which is irrelevant to the wiring regulations, the wiring regulations are the same and do not change regardless of whether a person is a landlord or not.

The regulations are the same for all properties.

No difference, the same regulations apply, it is all under BS7671.
Yes the regulations have some different requirements for domestic installations, but it is still the same regulations, the same british standard.

BS7671 applies universally in all cases. Until the latest ammendment it didn't even go into specifics for some domestic situations. My house has a bathroom, however it doesn't have a marina attached. That doesn't mean the regulations are different for my house than my (hypothetical) neighbour who does happen to have a marina attached, it just means that those requirements of section 7 are irrelevant to me, but not to him. But they remain the same regulations.

Most HMO’s are rented properties they have landlords.

Bs7671 has different requirements compared to domestic.

Therefore the regs aren’t the same for everyone.

Most HMO’s are rented properties they have landlords.

Bs7671 has different requirements compared to domestic.

No, the regs are exactly the same, it's just that there are special factors for HMO's to do with increased safety issues. The regulations remain the regulations. So the original context of this thread - being are regs different for owned -v- rented dwellings different is false.

No, the regs are exactly the same, it's just that there are special factors for HMO's to do with increased safety issues. The regulations remain the regulations. So the original context of this thread - being are regs different for owned -v- rented dwellings different is false.
No the actual statement was in relation to Dave sparks saying that the regs were the same for everyone.

Are the regs the same for someone who lives in a tree in the Congo ?

I took the original question to mean "do you have to buy a different book?"
Not "what is in the book".
But either way, both questions are now adequately answered!
(If I was in a tree in the Congo it wouldn't be the book I chose to take with me)

If you were in the Congo…. Would a BRITISH standard be any good?

BS7671 is only wiring regulation.

An early example would be the introduction of smoke alarms into rental properties.

the fact that detectors had to be put in rental accommodation was decided by fire safety and the renting industry…. But how those detectors are wired, is down to 7671.

Let’s take 2 flats… in a tower block on, say, the 6th floor. One rented, one owned.

It is the height that we go by, not whether it is rented or owned.

Calm down, in the UK they are, our bible, the regs is for us all to adhere to, go and stand in the naughty corner and say I promise not to be silly 1000 times :D

I took the original question to mean "do you have to buy a different book?"
Not "what is in the book".
But either way, both questions are now adequately answered!
(If I was in a tree in the Congo it wouldn't be the book I chose to take with me)
I would take my glasses before taking any book :)

Reply to Differences in regs for rental property? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net