Discuss distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I will ask him tomorrow, but want to have at least done as much homework myself as possible.
Pyro is not for the uninitiated or the faint of heart Sonia. That said, you have an opportunity to gain a very worthwhile skill that will never leave you. You'll get rusty at it but it's like riding a bike, you never forget it.
Once you get used to it you'll learn to love the stuff. I, and most of the other dinosaurs on here, do. Watch, learn and soak it up. And see if you can get your hands on some scrap ends to practice on (NB the tools needed can be expensive)

You see Trev, the difference here is that when you were a boy, the computer or internet had not been invented ;-) just kidding, but it's true, these days people turn to the internet first, which I guess is good for certain things, but if you are under the supervision of another, then you should really be asking them.

Lol ,trip to the library , then the answer to the boss on Monday morning - or else!!

Crikey!

I think Dave and Trev's advice needs heeding here. If you don't even recognise MI cable and have never touched it, I would recommend leaving this DB swap to someone with experience and just observing. A shiny new DB with a load of mangled copper ends near it would not be a fun thing to have to explain.

Hi Sonia
Have read your posts and your experience levels - love your will to succeed in this electrics lark
As others have said its a learning curve !
Electrics in a church normally all MICC and changing a board all in MICC is quite a challenge for even the most experienced
I suggest you watch and learn from the this other more experienced sparky ( I hope he is up to it ) and your next project is a little less tricky

All the best for you'd future career and hope someone gives you a chance

Another electrician? Did the first one not know what this is either?

There is going to be a lot of shouting I'm afraid! An electrician who doesn't even recognise a common cable like micc when they see it is not an electrician in anyone's book! Even if they are incapable of working with this cable an electrician should recognise it, especially in a church where it always was and often still is the only type of cable allowed!
its not that common imho, ive only really seen it at some hospitals, national grid office sites and once in a pub

Walk away if you have no experience of working with micc, it's easy once you know how but until then it is easy to make some expensive mistakes!

For a start the cable sheath forms the earth of the circuit which connects via a compression ring in the gland and onto the steel surface of the DB. You need to ensure a mechanically and electrically sound connection with the steel surface or find another way to earth the sheath, making a brass gland plate or using earthing nuts may work. Or reterminating them all with earth tail pots.

Also you may need to reterminate some of them which requires the correct tools and some experience. Plus knowing how far you can or cannot bend it without cracking the sheath if it's old.

And if it's imperial MICC you may well need to solder a new pot onto the cable or carefully shape the sheath with emery if you need to re-terminate. Not a job for the inexperienced!
just to add for future readers, it is not worth the trouble moving some boards, your better ripping the guts out and using them as a joint box.

hopefully the micc is terminated into couplers first or trunking and not direct into the board or you will find it tricky.

the odd micc would be fine if your inexperienced but it can be a right pig for a lot of cables, damage one and you will have to shorten them all to get them in the board

Pyro is not for the uninitiated or the faint of heart Sonia. That said, you have an opportunity to gain a very worthwhile skill that will never leave you. You'll get rusty at it but it's like riding a bike, you never forget it.
Once you get used to it you'll learn to love the stuff. I, and most of the other dinosaurs on here, do. Watch, learn and soak it up. And see if you can get your hands on some scrap ends to practice on (NB the tools needed can be expensive)
the tools can be picked up for a reasonable price on ebay

the brands to look for with reguards to tooling are;
pyrotenax
bicc

joistripper is handy for the smaller stuff but a rotary stripper is needed for the bigger stuff (or snips and driver)

dont be tempted to snip itit either as you will struggle to screw the pot on

just to add for future readers, it is not worth the trouble moving some boards, your better ripping the guts out and using them as a joint box.

hopefully the micc is terminated into couplers first or trunking and not direct into the board or you will find it tricky.

the odd micc would be fine if your inexperienced but it can be a right pig for a lot of cables, damage one and you will have to shorten them all to get them in the board

What utter rollocks!
If you can't do the job without turning the old board into a joint box then walk away and let someone who will do the job properly do it.

And damaging one doesn't necessarily require the whole lot to be re-terminated, there could be any number of ways of getting over that.

What utter rollocks!
If you can't do the job without turning the old board into a joint box then walk away and let someone who will do the job properly do it.

And damaging one doesn't necessarily require the whole lot to be re-terminated, there could be any number of ways of getting over that.
i said some not all and im not just counting small db's here im including panels as well, we have had panels with 20+ micc (bare copper no shroud either) directly into the top of the panel all in a tight formation down a wall.

Oh my golly gosh, 20+ bare pyro's! Whaddaya want, a medal or something?

Take the gland plate from the old board and use it as a template for the new one. Then when you're finished give the cables a quick clean and polish and they'll look as good as new.

There are places out there with far more than 20 Pyro's installed into boards. If I get a chance soon I get some pictures of some theatre installs where there are at least 96 circuits wired in the stuff coming out of patch panels.

Oh my golly gosh, 20+ bare pyro's! Whaddaya want, a medal or something?

Take the gland plate from the old board and use it as a template for the new one. Then when you're finished give the cables a quick clean and polish and they'll look as good as new.

There are places out there with far more than 20 Pyro's installed into boards. If I get a chance soon I get some pictures of some theatre installs where there are at least 96 circuits wired in the stuff coming out of patch panels.
i said+ i didnt count and not all panels have glandplates either

So cut the top bit off with the holes in it and use that as the template

My point is that it doesn't matter how many there are in there, the job should be done properly and not bodged with turning old DBs into unnecessary joint boxes.

i said some not all and im not just counting small db's here im including panels as well, we have had panels with 20+ micc (bare copper no shroud either) directly into the top of the panel all in a tight formation down a wall.
The op is talking about a rewirable board in a church hall it probably an eight way or such like.
even your panel with 20micc cables should be (or was) standard work for an electrician in my book.
an experienced hand should manage this task no bother as it's not a fusion reactor we are talking about

Reply to distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net