Discuss Distribution boards location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have never come across this before but is it OK to put a DB on the ceiling. We have had some cabins in and the db's are all on the ceiling. I have said this is wrong but my supervisor insists it is OK. Any input would be appreciated.

They come from Portugal flat packed and assembled over here. Yes the lids hang down.
I'd say if the lid hangs down that would be proof enough that they weren't designed to be fitted to the ceiling?

If it was a new build domestic, then Building Regulations would come into it too, as consumer units are meant to comply with accessibility for heights etc. But I guess cabins (commercial?) might not be covered by that.

From a purely technical point, I can't see an immediate reason for them not being safe like that - though if there were any holes in the rear of the consumer unit for cables to enter that weren't sealed, then any dust, not to mention water, would likely end up in there - so maybe not suitable for external influences?

I'd say if the lid hangs down that would be proof enough that they weren't designed to be fitted to the ceiling?

If it was a new build domestic, then Building Regulations would come into it too, as consumer units are meant to comply with accessibility for heights etc. But I guess cabins (commercial?) might not be covered by that.

From a purely technical point, I can't see an immediate reason for them not being safe like that - though if there were any holes in the rear of the consumer unit for cables to enter that weren't sealed, then any dust, not to mention water, would likely end up in there - so maybe not suitable for external influences?
I thought about accessibility as you would need steps to access it.

If it is domestic, you could say that the enclosure will not contain a fire as the plastic parts are not contained within a non combustible enclosure unless the lid is closed.
a check with the manufacturer of the board would be a good place to start.

Reply to Distribution boards location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net