Discuss Do you know what make & model this is? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't suppose anyone knows what make and model this heating controller is do they?

the customer has just sent me the photo, I plan to swap it for a Honeywell 7 day programmer but need to know which way its wired really.

Thanks to anyone who knows!

image1.JPG

Not sure but there's probably a wiring diagram on the back of the unit with a bit of luck, may even be the same or very similar 'industry standard' backplate.

It's a two channel programmer, just replace it with a 2 channel programmer. The only thing that could be a little funky is if it's a gravity system, but then you just flip the switch on the back/move the jumper.

I do t really touch heating controls, so you are going to have to explain how I know if it's a gravity system.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. Take the programmer off and look at the back. If it doesn't have a diagram it will have a make/model you can google.

most programmers with industry standard back plates are like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 134
I do t really touch heating controls, so you are going to have to explain how I know if it's a gravity system.

If turning the CH cannot be turned on without the DHW being on then it is gravity.
In a gravity system the DHW channel on the programmer fires the boiler, the heat then gravitates through the pipework to heat the cylinder. The CH channel switches the supply to the roomstat which then operates a pump to circulate water in the heating pipes. Thus to have heating on the hot water must be be on.
The gravity setting on a programmer will prevent CH being switched on without DHW being on.

Other clues to a gravity system are the lack of any motorised valves or cylinder stat, an ancient boiler, 28mm (or bigger) pipes to the coil.

Any particular reason you want Honeywell?
If not I'd recommend Drayton over Honeywell. We'd normally fit an LP522 (5 day/2day, 2 channel) as standard or an LP722 (7 day, 2 channel) if the customer really wants 7 day control.
The vast majority of people just want the 5/2day option so that they have one set of times for weekdays and another for weekends.

Last edited:
I'll just keep quiet, and follow the rest of the post!!

There is a ridiculous amount of confusion among electricians about what the different types of heating system are and how they work. Personally I just don't understand why? It didn't take me long to ask a few questions and learn how they all work and how the controls should operate.
It baffles me that people call themselves electricians yet can't manage to join a few switches in series to control domestic heating, it's not exactly a complex control system! Just so long as you understand when and where safety stats need to be put in certain systems it can't really go wrong'

I enjoy this sort of thing, it's a bit more interesting than the run of the mill stuff. The mess some people make of the wiring centre can be equally entertaining and frightening.

If it is gravity, then there are fewer programmers around now that are suitable for gravity systems.
A plumber asked me to fit one recently, a cheaper Drayton iirc, and it couldnt be configured for gravity, only fully pumped, so be aware of what system it is before buying.

Any particular reason you want Honeywell?
If not I'd recommend Drayton over Honeywell. We'd normally fit an LP522 (5 day/2day, 2 channel) as standard or an LP722 (7 day, 2 channel) if the customer really wants 7 day control.
The vast majority of people just want the 5/2day option so that they have one set of times for weekdays and another for weekends.

I know the Honeywell ones, but by the sounds of it the Drayton one will be perhaps a better swap in this case.

I appreciate the help from everyone thanks!

Reply to Do you know what make & model this is? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net