Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

crop_7394_Screenshot_20231229-145040_Chrome.png
crop_9458_Screenshot_20231229-075758_Chrome.png
crop_2931_Screenshot_20231229-082644_Chrome.png
crop_6492_crop_578_Screenshot_20231229-083957_Chrome.png

Not trade but too funny to pass up

Adding a socket in my Daughters bedroom, had no end to end continuity on the line conductors.

After some fault finding, I found the cause. Just butted up together and taped!

I joined the line conductor with a Wago and also put a grommet in the back box.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231230-131918_Gallery.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20231230-131949_Gallery.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20231230_123825.jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 50
Adding a socket in my Daughters bedroom, had no end to end continuity on the line conductors.

After some fault finding, I found the cause. Just butted up together and taped!

I joined the line conductor with a Wago and also put a grommet in the back box.
I prefer to use the wago 2773 push fit in that scenario as there is no chance of the levers being pushed up when the socket is fitted.

. Just butted up together and taped!
I suspect that at some point the insulation had been damaged where the break is and the exposed copper shorted to a sharp edge on the back box or an earth strap on the back of the socket, blowing a sizeable chunk of the copper away. This had been taped up as a repair to the insulation, but the weakened wire has subsequently broken inside the tape.

First day back to work in 2024 and it's started already. Thank goodness this is all being demolished.

Junction box as found, lid missing, metal box not earthed, neutrals from multiple lighting circuits mixed up, wiring extended via front of box. flexible conduit poked into female adaptors.
20240102_121314.jpg

This total mess was behind the plasterboard. Someone actually installed this. Very little in the zones, singles unprotected all over the place. The whole building is wired like this in flexible conduit buried wherever.
20240102_125503.jpg

A closer look.
20240102_130006.jpg

I didn't photograph all the live cables with taped up ends, or any of the twist and tape cable joints.

First day back to work in 2024 and it's started already. Thank goodness this is all being demolished.

Junction box as found, lid missing, metal box not earthed, neutrals from multiple lighting circuits mixed up, wiring extended via front of box. flexible conduit poked into female adaptors.
View attachment 112580
This total mess was behind the plasterboard. Someone actually installed this. Very little in the zones, singles unprotected all over the place. The whole building is wired like this in flexible conduit buried wherever.
View attachment 112578

A closer look.
View attachment 112579
I didn't photograph all the live cables with taped up ends, or any of the twist and tape cable joints.
There was probably a time when someone thought it was a job well done and beyond the minimum requirements.

Looks like different teams to me, why would someone start to use flexible conduit with glands and then not finish the job properly, or am I being over optimistic.

They use a lot of cable in smooth flexi conduit all over Europe… and the white stuff there is possibly the closest thing we have that is similar.

Therefore, I deduce Doctor Watson, that this installation was put in by none other than…… (dramatic pause) …. A foreigner!

Ok.. that’s not fair, there’s plenty of non Uk sparks that are good and do have an understanding of our bs7671…. This one apparently doesn’t.

What’s that old song? “Rip it up and start again….”

Dramatic difference between the black conduit you can buy in TLC (20mm Flexible Conduit Pack c/w 10 Glands - Black | Flexicon (FPP-CP20B) - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AF20BSB.html) you get glands, but in Europe you get a draw wire already installed, but no glands, back box's are unsuitable. (https://www.leroymerlin.fr/produits...a/gaine-icta-diam-20-mm-l-100-m-62900572.html)

That sort of flexible conduit is one step up from being of no use whatsoever. Awful stuff, although I invariably install quite a bit of it in stud walls to provide a route from A to B - generally short runs to an exit blade or for the likes of low voltage door controls.

That sort of flexible conduit is one step up from being of no use whatsoever. Awful stuff, although I invariably install quite a bit of it in stud walls to provide a route from A to B - generally short runs to an exit blade or for the likes of low voltage door controls.
Ok for wiring and keeping cables together under worktops/benches in rooms like kitchens or workrooms, where access is awkward. Or saddled inside cupboards, even.

^^^^^ so not only has a neat installation Benn made rough, but was that RCD needed for fault protection? Looks like a TT system to me!
Sy
Oops just looked again and PME I take it from the second Henley/ service blocks.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock