Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I may need a tin hat, but...
with small cable sizes it might be ok to put 2 into one wago slot, but why do it?
If you haven't any 4-ways...actually 5 - ways, don't think they do 4-way, why not just fly-lead a 3-way and another 3-way together?
Works for me...

I might daisy-chain 2 wagos...but any more and it's just silly.
I was fitting an outside floodlight the other day and used 3-way wagos, cos you never know when you might like to fit another one, but sometimes it seems that every penny is a prisoner...I hate that!
OK, if you are building 100,000 cars a year, every £ makes a difference, but with the prices nowadays, why not just add £100 to each one? Nobody buys them, they lease them, so the extra cost is negligible. It seems it's ok to use a cheap choc-block if it will never be disturbed, but honestly, for a few pence more...
Oh, I'm just tired...ignore me!

20170806_165006.jpg

Another bodge found a while back now. Switch being used to isolate 7.5kw shower

I know it's not the worst thing, but I don't get why some folk will add sleeving like that. It costs nothing and they've had to cut a new bit, so why not the whole thing ?

I know it's a small thing, but I don't get why some folk will add sleeving like that. It costs nothing and they've had to cut a new bit, so why not the whole thing?

G6R+x2sEQhW9PeC3uw2hkQ.jpg

Called out to a restaurant as the kitchen was tripping out. This is the DB which feeds the restaurant, a sub main to the kitchen and also flats above.

Apart from being horribly imbalanced, not the tidiest of jobs, no grommet strip where the cable go through the case, but on the face of it it looks reasonable, all the socket circuits are RCBO protected etc. until I noticed that the white RCBO earth leads were tucked behind the other wires and not connected to anything so they won't operate as quickly as designed or in the case of an earth fault if the neutral was also lost.

I'm going back to put a new sub main into the kitchen (the existing 63A one is over loaded and tripping the MCB) but I'm dreading doing IR testing on the RCBO protected circuits for when I connect those earth leads as I'm sure there's going to be lots of faults and that's probably why the 'electrician' left them disconnected.

this one wasn't...
WP_20180414_16_39_20_Pro[1].jpg

However, you can see I have looked out a grommet to cure the lack of one. The double socket this was connected to was held on by the usual two 3.5.. screws , one short one and one very long one, the latter to drag the squinty-fixed back box from the depths of the wall...and of course there was no earth to the front plate.
Can someone advise me on the likely age of this wiring with its multiple earth wires, 3 per cable? Or is it my eyesight...

That’s a nice colour wall! Anyone we know, VIPoo by any chance?
this one wasn't...
View attachment 41785
However, you can see I have looked out a grommet to cure the lack of one. The double socket this was connected to was held on by the usual two 3.5.. screws , one short one and one very long one, the latter to drag the squinty-fixed back box from the depths of the wall...and of course there was no earth to the front plate.
Can someone advise me on the likely age of this wiring with its multiple earth wires, 3 per cable? Or is it my eyesight...

Lol! Rpa07...the same VIP as I'm mounting the telly for, but well spotted!
She's in Rome for a few days so I'm taking today off, mainly because I don't like to be drilling, raggling and hammering etc on a Sunday as it would annoy the neighbours.

Thanks, littlespark, I'll note that...1960's...so, not as old as I am!
Wearing better, though...

Here's a nice reminder of why you should always try and isolate fuses before pulling them :)

BrokenFuse.jpg

Thankfully I noticed the second red dot was missing and the screw was loose.

Oh... and it's also a timely reminder about why you should keep a few bits of junk you remove from old installations. Replaced this and a 15A carrier serving a 30A circuit with some spares from an old board I'd removed from a customer property :D

And charged them handsomely we trust @SparkyChick, hmmm?
Here's a nice reminder of why you should always try and isolate fuses before pulling them :)

View attachment 41819

Thankfully I noticed the second red dot was missing and the screw was loose.

Oh... and it's also a timely reminder about why you should keep a few bits of junk you remove from old installations. Replaced this and a 15A carrier serving a 30A circuit with some spares from an old board I'd removed from a customer property :D
Very hard to know when to stop collecting for ‘when I need one’ - until then I’ll keep collecting!

And charged them handsomely we trust @SparkyChick, hmmm?

Very hard to know when to stop collecting for ‘when I need one’ - until then I’ll keep collecting!

It started as a call out for an existing customer because they lost power to the cooker. I think what happened was a bad neutral connection in the cooker switch resulted in surges or something that had slowly cooked the fuse wire causing it to fail. Quick re-termination of that and change the fuse carriers and the job has yielded contact details for another family member with an electrical fault, a request for a quote to replace that old fuse box which carries with it the need to do something about other parts of the installation (like replace an elderly VOELCB) and the possibility of another checking out the British Legion in Newport. All in all quite a productive call out :)

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock