Discuss Dog grroming parlour - electric shower et al in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E54 - in my experience, every place we've ever taken our mutt to has used an electric shower unit, and that's loads of places as they forever seem to open under false hope and bad research and close six months later!

If you take guidance from the regs with regards to livestock, then there is very much a case to treat this as no different from any other 701/702 location as animals are more susceptible than we are.

Besides, with RCBO's being so cheap these days its hardly worth the bother of not doing it.

I think i'll stick with my original thinking and stay with an immersion heater for this setup. I'm thinking this way because i can't see how you can get sufficient luke warm spray from a standard instantaneous electric shower. I maybe wrong and willing to be convinced otherwise. Anyway, an immersion type heater will be far cheaper to run, especially if this dog parlour lasts more than 6 months...lol!!

Think you'll find that those regulations would relate more to a farming environment where the animals will be walking on bare concrete floors, that would be getting regular hose downs. I would hope that wouldn't be the case in a dog grooming parlour, where you would expect some sort of PVC based floor covering. but the point is well placed/made, and should be taken note of by the OP.

If you take guidance from the regs with regards to livestock, then there is very much a case to treat this as no different from any other 701/702 location as animals are more susceptible than we are.

Also, remember that livestock is a particular problem due to the length of their bodies, and the potential that will exist between front and hind legs in the case of a fault. Maybe a very long sausage dog would present a problem in a domestic environment...

Thanks all for your interest and advice. Its always an eyeopener to ask a relatively straightforward question and there to be multiple different ways of the achieving the solution.
I agree a competent person should do the work, but also I wouldnt refuse to give advice (to the best of my rusty ability) to someone who asks for it, my 1st advice was to get a part-p accredited spark (thats why i said i wouldnt do it because I cant self cert).
My twopenneth has always been thus.
The electrical industry has one hell of a lot of regulations to adhere to. However (in my limited experience) it has almost zero "teeth" in policing if the job is being done right, in this environment anyone who thinks they know how to throw in some cable will continue to do a half-ar*ed job and will get employed to do so because they are "cheaper" than the guy with the quals, the regs books, the calibrated test equipment, insurance, part p-d accredited, who installs, tests and self certs correctly. Until something goes wrong that is. Rules without effective enforcement are pretty pointless, just my opinion.

Is the dog grrrrrr...ooming in the header a slip of finger or is there any reasoning behind it ?

Last edited:

Reply to Dog grroming parlour - electric shower et al in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net