Discuss doing my head in. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
situ is a park homes prefab for sale. i have been tasked with doing an EICR. wylex 3036 board with a later added 30mA up front RCD. Ze = 0.3. Zs readings at cooker outlet 0.32. lights 0.47. RFC sockets all read between 687 and 720 ohms. cpcs are intact and connections checked. tested the Zs on both sides of the RCD to eliminate bogus readings there. 1553 aborted RCD test showing >50V. obvious conclusion is a floating earth, but no visible signs of a fault. going back tomorrow with wander lead to check some R2 readings. just to eliminate test faults, got home and plugged 1553 into a socket. 0.47 ohms on hi current. 0.47 ohms on no trip. any ideas?

I'd be tempted to split the rfc where you think the halfway point is, and then measure the resistance of the 6 legs back to the board with your wander lead. Then see if there's any unexpected values or cross connection.
I know it sounds simple but going back to basics has helped me out many times when I can't understand what's happening?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Are you certain there isn't a socket or FCU on the ring that you may have missed Tel ? It sounds like nothing more than a loose connection somewhere to me ? [Unless there's a dodgy junction box or similar underneath ?]

going back tomorrow with a wander lead. get the r1, r2, rN readings, then wander the R2 to a socket. 1 socket is only about 4ft. from the CU. so that. a starter.

All continuities OK, tel?
going to test them tomorrow. had not got wander lead today and was a bit rushed as we have the kitchen fitters in today .

Sorry, just noticed previous post. If it's affecting all sockets, thus both ring legs, it seems the problem is close to the circuit origin.
Float on, I say.

update. went back dead tests all OK. r1, r2, rN, R1+R2 , all well as expected. reconnected in CU and did a hi-current test at CU with L-E shorted at approx mid-point. Zs then came in at 1.5 ohms. considering the Zdb was 0.8 ohms, not a bad reading.

Reply to doing my head in. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock