Discuss "Don't worry about it, i'll be living here for years" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

long512

New to the domestic trade so starting off as i mean to go on by doing it right and safe!

just finished the first fix at an old farm house. new sockets on a 20 amp radial using the t&e from an unused storage heater fed via a hager board. and wall lighting.
the farmer asked me why i couldn't just extend the one socket ring main in the room already? i explained that being fed from an old wylex rewireable fuse board i cant fit
an rcbo to make it 17th edition and safe.
"Oh don't worry about that lad, as long as it wuks it'll be allreet" i said sorry mate thems the rules, "don't worry i'll living here for years"

Some people just don't understand that its got to be safe, and it's for there benifit!!

New to the domestic trade so starting off as i mean to go on by doing it right and safe!

just finished the first fix at an old farm house. new sockets on a 20 amp radial using the t&e from an unused storage heater fed via a hager board. and wall lighting.
the farmer asked me why i couldn't just extend the one socket ring main in the room already? i explained that being fed from an old wylex rewireable fuse board i cant fit
an rcbo to make it 17th edition and safe.
"Oh don't worry about that lad, as long as it wuks it'll be allreet" i said sorry mate thems the rules, "don't worry i'll living here for years"

Some people just don't understand that its got to be safe, and it's for there benifit!!

I would have thought that was just standard across the trade anyway.

Not at all, I try to cut as many corners as I can, as long as it works, then I can get to the pub and bookies sooner! Why go the long way round by doing things 'properly'? ;)

I would have thought that was just standard across the trade anyway.
Nah, I've been doing it right and safe for 30 years and I'm sick of it. I want to see how many I can kill in the last fifteen years before I retire or get arrested and jailed. Whichever happens first, Harold Shipman got away with it for years......:)

Re: "Don't worry about it, i'll be living here for years"

Stroppy, sounds to me you missed your calling as a kitchen fitter...
Having fitted my own while renovating my house many years ago I can confirm its a piece of piddle - all you do is join some boxes together and hang some on the wall, and the only challenging bit is jointing worktops. Even so the designers still cock it up. On the plans of the current kitchen I'm wiring they show a 100mm filler, a 450 cupboard, and a 25mm end panel between a wall and a window. However when marking out, I find the gap is 475mm, the room's dimensions are different to the plan by half a metre, etc etc,so despite being fairly sure all the other units were in the right place (where I had already chased in my cables) I got the designer back to recheck his measurements, and he huffily said "no it will be fine, they'll all fit." So now I have taken a copy of the plan so that if my cables end up in the wrong place I have proof I put them where the plan said. How hard is it to measure a room and type it into KitchenCAD or whatever??

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant!

They are indeed idiots are these kitchen planners. Last 4 kitchens I have worked on have been wrong. On one, the 3D projection showed a washing machine stretched to fill a 900mm gap....And nobody had noticed !

Nothing to do with “do it right” more to do with how much can I screw out of the job.

I take my hat off to you if you’ve got a farmer to stump up for a lash up!

Reply to "Don't worry about it, i'll be living here for years" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net