Discuss Dry lining box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Resu

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just picked up a wee job that has been first fixed. The finished walls are made up of something like 6 or 8mm ply. We usually use Appleby fast fix boxes but I tested one and they won't tighten up due to the thinness of the ply. I was wondering if there was a dry lining box available that would do the job? (ie. less space between front of box and lug). Trying to avoid metal boxes as nothing has been dwanged!

there is but I can't remember what make it was,we had some once they had blue lugs and they came almost up to the front,sorry I cant be more helpful but hope it helps.

open the holes nicely with a multicutter, then cut the scraps into pieces and wood glue into sides of the holes.
may take 10 minutes longer per box but will work.
will double the thickness.

open the holes nicely with a multicutter, then cut the scraps into pieces and wood glue into sides of the holes.
may take 10 minutes longer per box but will work.
will double the thickness.

This is the other option but not sure I have the patience!

Appleby used to make little spacers which fit in the holes on the yellow lug face to accommodate thinner wall panels. My local branch of Holland House used to keep them. However you may well be quicker to use the wood glue & off-cut method suggested previously.

Appleby used to make little spacers which fit in the holes on the yellow lug face to accommodate thinner wall panels. My local branch of Holland House used to keep them. However you may well be quicker to use the wood glue & off-cut method suggested previously.

Found them by a quick google "Appleby packing pieces". Shudder to think of the cost but will ask my CEF rep next time I see him. Looking like I'll have to make my own! Cheers guys.

Just a matter of finding them. The blue lug idea above I believe is from Deta. MT did/do them also.
I have used them many times in stores TV walls,thin metal panels.

Boydy

Reply to Dry lining box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net