Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Earth Electrode Test - is there a simple method? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kkkkk

-
Reaction score
Hi all

Can you tell me if there is a cheap and easy way of testing an earth electrode, without the expense (which I can't afford yet!!!) of buying a dedicated tester?

This is one person's recommendation, tell me what you think:

"Anyone with a bit of electrical common sense, knowledge of Ohm's law, and a decent multimeter can measure earth electrode resistance quite easily. You need to isolate the electrode in question and then find a way of getting some current to flow into it. A safe way to do this is to use a double-wound mains transformer with a secondary voltage of around 24V (exact value not critical). It is preferable to use AC for this test since that eliminates any electrolytic effects (if you must use DC source such as a car battery, then conduct two readings, reversing the polarity for the second)."

I don't fully understand this, but you have more experience than me, perhaps a diagram, or an easy explanation?

I have just passed my 2382-12, with 90%, came top in my class. I'm delighted!! :rockon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon:

Any congratulations happily received!!!!! :grouphug: :musical_note: :musical_note:

kkkkk

Can you tell me if there is a cheap and easy way of testing an earth electrode

This is one simple way and there is no need to go to the lengths you describe

When you purchase one from the wholesaler,get your low ohms continuity tester out and put one lead on the pointy end and the other on the blunt end and observe the reading

Remember to take the polythene wrapping off before carrying out the test lol

Asking the right question is important
icon7.png

Everyone else just does an ELI test on the rod at the cut-out position on domestic installs. Can't get any simpler than that!! Might not be as accurate as a dedicated Earth Resistance Tester, but good enough for domestics and small installations....

Sorry, I did mean when the earth electrode is connected to a domestic installation, not a new electrode!!

And Engineer54, thanks for that, can you be a little more detailed, remember I'm a novice!!! Thanks very much!
So an Earth Loop Impedance test between the earth electrode and ? is it the main line in? And do I have to disconnect all earth bonding?
And if I have a three lead meter, where do I put the neutral lead?

THANKS!!!!! :carols: :) :)

rite....
you can use the neutal at a socket (BS1363) outlet to get a referance earth.....
so your black (voltage) and blue (current) measuring conductors would be connected to the neutal of the BS1363.....
red and green to the rod.....
you are using star as the referance point....
not as reliable as the 3 wire test.......

I have 3 leads, brown, blue and green - so would you be able to give me the specifics for my tester, please - VERY much appreciated - THANKS!!!! :) :)

Turn off the main isolator.
Disconnect the main earth from the Main Earth Terminal, or disconnect the bonding conductors (whichever's easiest).
Connect your green lead to the main earth that you have just disconnected, using your croc clip.
Switch on your meter and select Loop or Zs.
Hold your brown and blue leads to the line and neutral terminals on the main isolator.
Press the test button.
Make a note of the reading.
Then you can select Line or whatever your tester calls the function, and placing the leads in the same positions as before, conduct the PSSC test.

Reply to Earth Electrode Test - is there a simple method? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net