• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Earth Rod - Advice please! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

Kaydee

Hi, I am not an electrician, but need some advice from one, if you wouldn't mind helping, please?
We've just paid £3,500.00 to have a 3-bed semi completely rewired and are told the job is now finished. (We paid half up front, they now want the other half).
Outside the front of the property, they've installed what they've told us is an 'earth rod'. There's a long piece of thick, black, plastic tubing, leading to a unit that is fixed to the ground.
It comes almost onto the driveway, right in front of an attractive bush to the side of the front door and looks really unsightly.
We questioned them about it and were told it was 'regulation' that it had to be installed that way, a metre from the house, in a straight line.
I haven't seen anything like this in front of any other property, including ones that have been recently rewired, but want to check my facts before challenging them on this.
Is this normal? Can it/should it be buried underground?

Thank you, telectrix, that's the sort of thing I HAVE seen outside other houses.
In your opinion, would the total cost we have been charged cover the cost of this? We've had new board put in, 4 spotlights in the kitchen and the rest is just basic rewiring with a couple of extra sockets.
I'm only asking because I want to be prepared if I challenge the electician and he says it'll cost extra.

Can you post a picture of the earth rod's current set up? Is your propery in a remote location or do you have other properties close by.? Hard to comment on the price without a full spec but it doesnt sound that unreasonable.

seeing this from both sides, as it were,

1. there is payment outstanding, so from your point, you have a bargaining chip. you could insist that he alters it to get paid.

2. from his point of view, he's done what he quoted for, so is entitled to the outstanding payment.

playing devil's advocate, considering the above, I'd advise that you speak with him, explain your disappointment with how the earth rod has been installed, and come to a n agreement to alter it whereby you pay him a bit extra, albeit not as much as it would normally cost. the key word is negotiation. then you'll maintain a good relationship for any future works required.

Without sounding out of turn, the electrician should have known that an earth rod needed installing upon surveying the property during quoting purposes. The method you described is quite common and tends to be the cheapest easiest solution. This said, personally I would have discussed this with the client prior to commencing work and made provisions in the quote to install the rod within the regs as per clients spec. As its a "basic" re-wire and we know nothing of your agreed contract with the electrician, its difficult to make comment about your situation.
My guess is he/she will advise that the alterations you require will be charged extra to the original quote if nothing was agreed prior.

you post pics by using the "upload a file" next to the reply button, but i think you need a minimum number of posts to be able to do.

I'd also like to see a pic. has he installed a decent rod, or just a 3ft. "twig". and is the Ra/Ze suitably low.

service head or cut-out:
Earth Rod - Advice please! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

contains the supplier's fuse.

Without sounding out of turn, the electrician should have known that an earth rod needed installing upon surveying the property during quoting purposes. The method you described is quite common and tends to be the cheapest easiest solution. This said, personally I would have discussed this with the client prior to commencing work and made provisions in the quote to install the rod within the regs as per clients spec. As its a "basic" re-wire and we know nothing of your agreed contract with the electrician, its difficult to make comment about your situation.
My guess is he/she will advise that the alterations you require will be charged extra to the original quote if nothing was agreed prior.
I think you're probably right David, but as he knew we were preparing the house for marketing it, I would have hoped he would have discussed this sort of thing with us, which he didn't!

I think you're probably right David, but as he knew we were preparing the house for marketing it, I would have hoped he would have discussed this sort of thing with us, which he didn't!
Can you post a picture of the earth rod's current set up? Is your propery in a remote location or do you have other properties close by.? Hard to comment on the price without a full spec but it doesnt sound that unreasonable.
Earth Rod - Advice please! earth rod2 - EletriciansForums.net Earth Rod - Advice please! earth rod1 - EletriciansForums.net
I'd also like to see a pic. has he installed a decent rod, or just a 3ft. "twig". and is the Ra/Ze suitably low.

Reply to Earth Rod - Advice please! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back