Discuss earthing sky dish in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mackers

hi all
just been asked to price for earthing a communal sky system.

SKY have asked for a 4mm earth to be run back to the MET from there equipment.

there are 4 dishes positioned around the blocks of flats 2 storey high

there in no landlords db so where do they want me to connec t it?

anyone come across this before ?
never had much to do with tv's

cheers

Easy enough to install a MET, would have thought with that amount of flats there would have been a suitable earthing point near the incomer.

I have worked on loads of council flats and they seem to connect it to any old earth. just clipped down the wall no mechanical protection sod all!

If they want them earthing then so be it. I would happily charge Sky a fortune to do this as they screw me on my packages!!!

Agreed...!! lol...... i can only image its due to the "communal" distribution system, i.e Mrs Jones receiver goes ---- and dumps fault current down the coax feed and then as a result Mr Smith 6 flats along touches his receiver and BANG!

least its all safely distributed to earth and by then the broken RCD that never been tested on Mrs Jones CU jumps in to life!

Where a Lightning Protection System exists then CAI code of practice requires a 4mm earth conductor from the dish and aerial mast to the MET. If there is no LPS then that connection is optional.
Aerial installers and satellite engineers - Confederation of Aerial Industries

If there are separate blocks, with a TV distribution system in each, but connected together (ie fed from a single antenna array/headend) then the distribution amplifier/splitter in each block should be connected to that blocks MET with a 4mm earth bond.
The coax's between buildings may need to be galvanically isolated, but the Aerial/Satellite installer should do that.

Reply to earthing sky dish in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net