Discuss Eicr on Farm house in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering your take on this, EICR on property, New DB fitted some years ago, looks ok. & compliant @ the time of install but not now.
Its all pvc T&E cabling but with the usual poor workmanship recess lighting,wall lights not ideally connected.
Polarity issues @ lights & sockets,no grommets,no green sleeving,old type joint boxes surface mounted on exposed beams,all cabling clipped surface.
Dated light switches,surface mount sockets just fitted above carpets, my walk in opinion to rewire.

The client having a revamp in quite a few areas,kitchen being moved to other side of house etc.
The building works involves about 6 rooms in the property.
The Client Architect & the building company just extend original circuits, Im thinking more of a full rewire.

Difficult to assess from afar.
If there are a lot of C2s on the EICR, and generally poor workmanship throughout, coupled with the proposed alterations to the property, then I would present the owner with the options. One of which would include a rewire, as it could work out almost as expensive to address the issues present.

Walk in opinion isn't really going to cut it. To recommend a rewire the Report needs to be so damning that the cost of remedial works will make it more beneficial to rewire. I see nothing wrong with surface clipped wiring provided it is not prone to mechanical damage and can you expand on old style joint boxes.

Walk in opinion isn't really going to cut it. To recommend a rewire the Report needs to be so damning that the cost of remedial works will make it more beneficial to rewire. I see nothing wrong with surface clipped wiring provided it is not prone to mechanical damage and can you expand on old style joint boxes.
The round brown screw on lid, these are ram packed with cables.

Difficult to assess from afar.
If there are a lot of C2s on the EICR, and generally poor workmanship throughout, coupled with the proposed alterations to the property, then I would present the owner with the options. One of which would include a rewire, as it could work out almost as expensive to address the issues present.
Thanks for that, about 7 C2’s.

Just wondering your take on this, EICR on property, New DB fitted some years ago, looks ok. & compliant @ the time of install but not now.
Its all pvc T&E cabling but with the usual poor workmanship recess lighting,wall lights not ideally connected.
Polarity issues @ lights & sockets,no grommets,no green sleeving,old type joint boxes surface mounted on exposed beams,all cabling clipped surface.
Dated light switches,surface mount sockets just fitted above carpets, my walk in opinion to rewire.

The client having a revamp in quite a few areas,kitchen being moved to other side of house etc.
The Client Architect & the building company just extend original circuits, Im thinking more of a full rewire.
Pass it back to your QS and let him decide not really your problem then as you have stated in previous threads

On the type of installation you describe, in my experience, it is more efficient to re-wire than tack on other circuits. For instance I was asked to test lighting in a domestic and technically it met with regs at 2 Mohm IR. The person then asked me to extend the lighting circuit and other jobs on it. I declined and explained that while the circuit meets regs now, it is likely the cabling would further degrade and I would get the blame when it goes wrong and I was not prepared to tack on new stuff to patently old and failing circuits. I don't suppose you inspected cables under floors and in the loft? Although it might seem all is well according to your tests you still really have no idea of what you are extending from in truth. If it does fail later you will get the blame. Anyway that is my thinking.

On the type of installation you describe, in my experience, it is more efficient to re-wire than tack on other circuits. For instance I was asked to test lighting in a domestic and technically it met with regs at 2 Mohm IR. The person then asked me to extend the lighting circuit and other jobs on it. I declined and explained that while the circuit meets regs now, it is likely the cabling would further degrade and I would get the blame when it goes wrong and I was not prepared to tack on new stuff to patently old and failing circuits. I don't suppose you inspected cables under floors and in the loft? Although it might seem all is well according to your tests you still really have no idea of what you are extending from in truth. If it does fail later you will get the blame. Anyway that is my thinking.
Totally agree my gut feeling is a full rewire, & yes we’ve all been caught out on extending circuits cheers

Building work on six rooms? Sounds like a great opportunity to sweet talk the owner into replacing existing set up with something more aesthetic. As above, probably easier than trying to do remedial work.

Drives me mad that people go to all the effort and expense of revamping yet neglect the fundamentals.

Dear customer,

Please accept our quote as detailed for the amount of £X0000.00

The work quoted for is a complete rewire of all circuits, which is deemed to be necessary based on the EICR carried out by us.
Please note that this is also based on our walk-in opinion, along with our gut feeling.

Yours etc

Dear customer,

The work quoted for is a complete rewire of all circuits, which is deemed to be necessary based on the EICR carried out by us.
Please note that this is also based on our walk-in opinion, along with our gut feeling.

Yours etc
I like it & thanks ?

On a job of that size (6 rooms being totally gutted and revamped) I’d almost always want to run new circuits, so I know there will be no issues.

Only exception would be if the existing installation was in extremely good condition.

On a job of that size (6 rooms being totally gutted and revamped) I’d almost always want to run new circuits, so I know there will be no issues.

Only exception would be if the existing installation was in extremely good condition.
Agree where ever you looked on this one there would be problems so rewire the only option really.
Wish the others involved realised that this is what required & not thinking of the cheapest & quickest way of doing it.

Farmhouse. You’ll get a lot of rodents gnawing on the t&e. Full rewire IMO.

As said before, you don’t want blamed for something that goes wrong with the old system AFTER you’ve extended circuits.

Dear customer,

Yours etc
Well at least it is being honest about it, more than many drive-by are!

Reply to Eicr on Farm house in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net