Discuss Electric heating in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

provr6

I have a victorian property and do not have mains gas at my house and currently use portable electric heating and real fires.

I am considering storage heaters (probably used ones off ebay) and was wondering if there would be any benefit using them not off peak and supplementing some of the electric used to charge them with the solar panels. I suspect not because they will be needed most in the winter when there is less chance of sun.

Also can you switch willy nilly between economy 7 in the winter and standard in the summer.

I have not ruled out other forms of heating such as Air source heat pumps but believe it will be a pain to install the underfloor heating. Gas tanks and oil tanks are options but I don't really like the need for tank storage and topping up. The main disadvantage of these options for me is the initial outlay.

I believe the house had a parkray previously as there is existing radiator pipework installed.

Can anyone give advice as the best way to heat my home cost effectively over a long period as I don't anticipate moving.

aga , or rayburn multi fuel unit. burn all the scrap wood and rubbish you can get hold of.

Umm, so a swap to E-UFH could be a good move, the draw back is the removal of the floor covering to each room to install the system and its going to cost more than SH, but it would be more efficient and pleasing to the eye!

Would this be best served with an electric boiler or air source heat pump.

I know this would be a good option for my heating needs but its likely to cost about £8k? not to mention the disturbance to the house (although there are no carpets laid).

Storage heaters are the work of Beelzebub, consider them a last resort if all else fails. Have a look at Rointe electric rads and heating systems. Not looked much into them myself yet but they're supposed to be pretty good from what I've heard

E-UFH just runs off the main supply which is supplemented by the PV, no ASHP, but you may need an electric boiler for the HW supply to the bathroom etc. If you havent moved into the house yet and have bare floors, then its a straight forward install, depends on the type of floor covering, but laminate is the easiest to do and most cost effective.

Last edited:
bear floor

bear-skin-rugs-polar-bear-01-thumb.jpg

Reply to Electric heating in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net