Discuss Electrical Installation Design Guide: 3rd Edition in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wilder79

hello all,
This is my first post so please go gentle.
I've recently decided to do Design and Verification of electrical installations (2396) course, its been a while since I've had to really implement and use many equations. So as you can imagine I'm a little rusty! I've been looking at some books that may help to bring me back up to speed. Recommended to me was the Electrical Installation design guide 3rd edition by IET, looking online the new edition isn't out yet until the end of the month and could really do with it now.
So my question is would there be much difference if i used the older version, obviously the loop values etc have changed. but does anybody know whether i would be wasting my money on the older version.
any advice would be much appreciated, or if anyone knows of any other books that would do the job?
thanks in advance.
cheers

It's a very useful book as a one stop reference and goes into the design process in some detail. However, most of the reference data is available in the regs and on site guide, and your course should provide you with all the design knowledge to be able to complete the course and further your understanding of the design process.

There are certain tables that are not available in other IET publications (that I know of). An older version would be just fine I reckon, but I don't know what changes there are between editions additional from updates from the regs.

Would it be worth it cost wise. Definitely. Think how much the course costs and how much you want to learn the subject and pass the course. You'll be spending more than the cost of the book at the print shop anyway by the time the course is finished.

I bought this book when I did my 2396 and it is very useful indeed and contains all the information you could need, although you will find that any info you need for the course can be found in the regs or site guide to be honest. hope you have lots of spare time to do the project as it's a monster.

I also have used this book, very hepful, yes a lot of the info is in the regs book but this guide helps by showing working formulae step by step, for me this was a lot easier than just reading the formula from the regs book. Don't know how much info would have changed apart from the zs values and factoring in cmin.

I brought the [h=1]Design and Verification of Electrical Installations (17th Edition IET Wiring Regulations) [COLOR=#555555 !important]Paperback [COLOR=#555555 !important]– 24 Oct 2012[/COLOR][/h][/COLOR]
by Brian Scaddan

Can you tell I just copied and pasted that here.. Well any way.. the book.. it Sucked.. I have all Brian Scaddan books, a bit more easier to read but REPEATS itself in every book (worse than the BBC for repeats)

I will look at this other book you suggested, as I would LOVE to do 2396 (tho I would bite my nails off with it being level 4 and would want to know the meaning of every thing and Life with it before paying over money to do the course)
Tho I can only find 2nd EDITION

Electrical Installation Design Guide (Iet Wiring Regulations): Amazon.co.uk: Iet: 9781849196574: Books

Reply to Electrical Installation Design Guide: 3rd Edition in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net