Discuss Electrician Scotland ex forces in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gnapier

Good evening,

Can anyone provide a clear breakdown of what qualifications and experience are required to operate as a self employed Electrician in Scotland?

My background. I am leaving the forces after 12 years, I am now 31 and degree qualified (electronics, computer systems). I have undertaken a 4 week course within the forces resettlement scheme where I have qualified to full scope domestic installer with NAPIT. I also have the C&G 2382 (17th edition) and C&G 2393 (Building regs - Part P). I also have a cskills award from CITB (don't have details yet as not came through post).

I am aware NAPIT have just changed their rules to conform to national standards where I require evidence of 2 years experience within the industry. I have been informed that my previous experience onboard RN vessels may count, but will have to be further assessed. This would only qualify me for NAPIT membership as a domestic installer in England (and wales with caveats)

So my initial question, what do I need to do to become a fully qualified electrician in Scotland, preferably self employed?

Notes: I assume conversion from part p to Scottish Building Standards would be required? I am pretty sure that the 4 week course does not satisfy the education requirements for electrician. What is the minimum required standard (assuming lots of prior knowledge)

thanks
Gary

Napit do not run a scheme in scotland ,only select and the niceic run schemes for sbsc certification.
the domestic installer grade is not recognised in scotland
you are either an sjib electrician or you are not.
im pretty sure the adult trainee takes a couple of years study
i would phone the sjib/ select ( they are based in the same building in bush estate, Midlothian) and find out what they require.
best of luck

Reply to Electrician Scotland ex forces in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net